No. 353 Squadron was formed on 1 June 1942 at Dum Dum, British India from 62 Squadron RAF and 103 (Coast Defence) Flight, Indian Air Force. It was originally formed as 353 Squadron, Indian Air Force and for a brief period had Indians on its roster.
The squadron was engaged in coastal patrols over the Bay of Bengal equipped with Lockheed Hudson aircraft. In August 1943 the squadron moved to Palam and was assigned to transport duties. From 1944 onwards the squadron re-equipped with Douglas Dakotas, and also operated a number of Avro Anson aircraft, which were replaced with Expeditors in January 1945. The squadron became fully Dakota equipped by April 1945, but disbanded at RAF Mauripur on 1 October 1946.
The squadron had 61 fatal casualties http://www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead/index.php?qunit=353%20Sqdn during the course of its operations.
Aircraft Losses: To be updated.