PDA

View Full Version : Forum Issues? Please use this thread.

grounded
3rd April 2015, 19:02
I was having trouble logging into the site.
Even though I was logged in, I still couldn't post or start a new thread.

I thought it could have simply been a glitch with my browser, or whatever.
Then I received a couple PMs from others who were having trouble with login.

For those having the same problem, I seem to have found a workaround.

If you log in and cannot see the "New Thread" field, try clicking the "Refresh" icon on your browser.
When I log in and click on the "Refresh" icon everything quickly loads to the way it should be.

It works for me.

phill jones
3rd April 2015, 20:14
Thanks for posting this , i wondered what had happened with my last thread as three of the same were posted , ??

Rgs Phill Jones

archivist
3rd April 2015, 23:48
Thanks Grounded,

This has been happening to me for a couple of days now - and your "cure" works!

Archivist

Alex Smart
4th April 2015, 03:18
Hello,
Same for me last night, (Thursday/Friday).
I went to "Whats New" and found that my posts did show up there, so although I had loged in when I tried to post my name/password was not visible on screen and the "New Post" button was not visible. However my posts were delivered and are all in place today, 0315 Saturday.
All seems OK today ?

Err :( No see "Glychy Two" able however to get back to this thread via "Whats New" and edit post.
Alex

Alex Smart
4th April 2015, 03:23
Hello,

Errr, my reply re HEELDS thread was OK, no problem.
However my reply to the "Glitchy Login" thread did not work ??????????

Alex

Resmoroh
4th April 2015, 07:41
Hi All,
Only problem thista is that some posts are out of time sequence in some threads! But we had this a few months ago IIRC?
Peter Davies

alieneyes
4th April 2015, 08:21
Some glitch, Peter. Jagan is aware of it, I believe. According to this post, as an example, I was thanked by the OP 15 minutes before I answered his question.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?18520-Fl-Sgt-Edwin-Robert-Cole

Regards,

Dave

PeteT
4th April 2015, 10:11
I have just had the same problem with a reply to Steve Brew's thread.

Regards

Pete

Jagan
4th April 2015, 22:47
Gentlemen, I would request you all to use this (now) 'sticky' thread to post your forum issues going forward.

(And to do away with opening multiple threads for individual issues. )

Resmoroh
5th April 2015, 17:23
Three of Alex Smart's "Unaccounted" posts have appeared on this new 'Sticky'. Is it you, or is it me? If it's you then can a Mod copy/paste (or move) to the main forum? Is Alex pasting to the wrong destination?
Just concerned!
Peter Davies

Jagan
5th April 2015, 20:38
Is the "I appeared to be logged out even after I logged in" problem still happening?

Ross_McNeill
5th April 2015, 20:46
Hi Jagan,

Yes as before,

Log in, page goes to same as if not logged. However if refresh done then shown as logged in without having to repeat the input.

Navigate away and shown as not logged in, refresh page and shows logged in.

Regards
Ross

Jagan
8th April 2015, 21:11
Should i take it this problem is now resolved?

I havent seen any double posts last couple of days..

PeteT
8th April 2015, 23:14
Jagan

I still have to refresh the page after I have logged in (before it shows the response boxes) and refresh the page to see any posts that I have added ... so something is still not quite right (but I am managing to work my way around the problems).

Regards

Pete

Jagan
9th April 2015, 02:39
Thanks Pete.

I will try to and do another fix shortly.. will wait for the weekend to give it a shot.. till then the refresh after logging in once should be the work around.

dennis_burke
9th April 2015, 13:25
As a by the by, I am simply logged in always on the two computers I use most often, the home and work laptops. I'm rarely logged out of the site and have no issues.

i.e. when logging in some months back i told the computers to remember my details. See no reason to be logging out after each visit to the site.

EDIT: quite funny, in that just now it had dumped me off and I had to log back in , oh well.

grounded
17th April 2015, 17:36
I logged in without problems, but I hit "Refresh" just to make sure.
I wrote my reply to a thread, and I clicked on "Post Quick Reply."
A box immediately appeared saying that I was not logged in.

I left the site then looked back about 45 minutes later but my post was not there.
I logged in again, replied to the thread again, and clicked on "Post Quick Reply."
The "You Are Not Logged In" box did NOT appear, but I clicked on "Refresh" just to make sure.

My reply to the thread posted as it should.

grounded
19th April 2015, 19:25
This is a possible workaround in the event that your post doesn't work properly:

Before you click on "Post Reply" highlight all what you have written and copy it.
Then, if your post doesn't work, you can paste it into the reply field when you re-post.

This saves you having to re-write your post all over again.

Dick
19th April 2015, 21:22
Hi Jagan
There are still times when I have to login on 1st opening the website but for the past few days it has got me logged in and kept me there for the rest of the day including shutting down the PC(although I usually don't log out from Rafcommands.) During the "problem" I could select a thread and when it came up all the indications that I was logged in were present and I could reply to the thread, but to select a new thread of interest I had to go back through General Category when I was not recognised again and it seemed that the problem was connected to General Category. I have since wondered if the version of Windows made a contribution. I have a new PC with Windows 8.1 and it did refuse, for a while, to allow me to type in my password to open it up, but by doing a Restart it went back to normal. This version has developed a reputation for quirky happenings and is about to be replaced by Windows 10(in my case for Free!!). After disappearing for a day RafCommands seems to have settled down to normality. Thanks for your efforts
Regards
Dick

B Goodale
7th November 2015, 10:19
Hi I can edit my reply posts in someone else's thread - an "Edit Post" button is shown. However I do not seem to be able to edit a thread I started, either the heading or my first post. I wanted to change a detail. No "Edit" button visible. Can you help? Brian

bruce dennis
7th November 2015, 11:01
Hello Brian,
Glad to have you in the forum, sorry you hit a bump, I will try to help. First, I believe there is no facility for you to edit the title of a started thread. As for the other matter, can you confirm that you are logged in and there is no 'EDIT POST' icon appearing in the right hand side of the grey bar forming the bottom border of your post?

Bruce

B Goodale
7th November 2015, 15:15
Hello Bruce - thanks for this. Yes, I confirm that after I am logged in, there is no "Edit Post" icon on my post in the thread I started (which you will have seen). On that post, I have only the icons "Reply" and "Reply With Quote". On my posts in other threads (including this one), I do have the "Edit Post" icon as well. As a check I switched from Firefox to IE, just in case the scripts were not supported in Firefox - but same result with IE. I wonder if the lack of editing ability is because if the thread initiator altered the title and initial post of a thread, any replies might become nonsensical?

Brian

B Goodale
7th November 2015, 15:18
Yes and I've just done a test post in my thread. I get the "Edit Post" icon in the test post. Brian

Ross_McNeill
7th November 2015, 17:13
The forum used to have a time limit on edit of 30 mins after post. This was to stop spammers posting an acceptable message then returning a few days later to edit and add spam.

It seems that this limit is still active, but I cannot confirm the exact delay.

The ability to edit thread title is only open to the orginator of the thread and moderators. It does not appear in the basic edit menu, you need to select advanced edit.

Ross

bruce dennis
7th November 2015, 17:46
Thanks Ross, I will continue to learn the basics. I really must sit down with a cup of tea one day and play with all the buttons.
Bruce

B Goodale
8th November 2015, 08:19
Hi again - I checked on Ross's advice. I have just been able to edit my test post - I deleted it altogether, but I'm pretty sure editing was also available, the full edit options page came up. This is 17 hours after posting it. Brian

Ross_McNeill
8th November 2015, 17:45
Lost the ability to edit my post (#24) after 24 hrs.

Ross

B Goodale
8th November 2015, 20:24
Thanks again. Bruce - if possible - would you please use your powers to change the title of my thread of 5 November re my father, as follows. Delete "Flt Off" (which is an incorrect abbreviation). Please just substitute "F/O" as in the text. Otherwise I'm happy, I might have tinkered with the message body but it's ok (and a long shot anyway!). Brian

B Goodale
9th November 2015, 05:59
Bruce - thanks for that - feel free to delete my messages in this forum issues thread if they are not felt to be of general interest. Brian

Jagan
3rd March 2016, 17:13
Forum is back up now.

There was an issue with our webhosting provider . Database tables got erased and it required a restoration using a back up copy.

Many of the posts in the previous three days are gone due to a backup being restored over yesterday's copy.

I do have a backup of posts till 30 hours back and will work on restoring them this weekend. what it means is that all User registrations, posts replies in past 30 hours wont be recovered.

The same item affected the Front Page site and Image galleries as well.. they are now restored to working condition.

Unfortunately this event happened just on that one little trip i make every year out of town and I could not address this in time. Apologies for all inconvenience this has caused.

-Jagan

Jagan
6th March 2016, 19:54
I recovered about 45 posts are so from March 1st and 2nd.. some of them may 're-appear' in various threads . + This thread was created as well.
For my reference, threads 19976, 19977, 19978 were created
Posts 116818 to 116866 were imported.

PeteT
26th March 2016, 10:28
When viewing threads in linear mode today, some of the posts are missing ; however, all posts can be viewed by switching to hybrid mode.

An example is the Flight Engineer training WWII thread which only shows 8 posts in linear mode, but 13 in hybrid mode

Is this just me or are others experiencing the same problem?

Regards

Pete

bruce dennis
26th March 2016, 14:17
You are not alone, and I have notified Jagan. I hadn't sussed the hybrid trick, just the missing posts.
Thanks,
Bruce

Jagan
26th March 2016, 14:37
Its related to the recent DB outage. when i imported the post numbers 116818 to 116866 , four of these went into that thread #19927. Those thread total didnt get updated.

So any thread that has posts with the numbers from the above range, those post totals will be missing.

Added:

Following threads will have mismatched totals, and the number of posts the totals are not reflecting.

Belgian Casualty 24 Sqn SAAF 6-3-1944 not on CWGC

No. 241 OCU, Dishforth - pilots in period Nov 194...

440814 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 14-8-...

3 090 148 W/Cdr D. F. Bates first names

S/Ldr du Boulay DFC

Flight Engineer training WWII

61 Sqn Hampden X2981, October 1940 - individual le...

Assistance with weather and sorties over operation...

151 Sqn loss 17/11/41

Downham Market & Horsa Glider Arrivals (Recove...

Anson Loss 29 Sep 44

Lancaster PB357 7 SQN

Good Catch on the anomalies! I thought I captured all - now i know what else needs to be done .

ADDED later:

Pete, Bruce, Can you confirm the only anomaly i see is that the posts "total" in the forum listing page is not correct?

When i open a thread - whether in linear or in hybrid, I am seeing all the posts that should be there. Even though the forum index count is a bit off

ADDED YET later:

All thread post totals updated.. the problems are now resolved. Bruce confirmed its working.

bruce dennis
26th March 2016, 15:04
Jagan,
I still get the same effect: shows 8 replies in list view, 10 posts display when opened with link to page 2 that doesn't work.
Bruce

PeteT
4th April 2016, 18:53
Just to let you know that I am still experiencing "missing posts" where I receive an e-mail to say there is an update but nothing shows up

eg http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?20097-Unknown-airman-identified: e-mail received "The airman was: 1614168 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Raymond Leslie LEE RAFVR, lost on 18/19 July, 1944, in No.138 Sqn Halifax V LL387. BCL5/339. ... Col."

I can't even view them in hybrid mode today.

Regards

Pete

[PS: I guess it is possible that the post was subsequently deleted by the poster]

SteveBrooking
24th July 2016, 10:30
Hi

Is anyone suffering from very slow speeds on the board?

I am in UK and use Virgin cable broadband which has genuinely VERY fast download speeds. For 2 or 3 weeks now I have found RAF Commands very slow. Opening a forum is very slow and quite often opening individual threads is very slow.

I do not have this problem with any of the other boards that I visit?

Steve

PeteT
24th July 2016, 10:39
Steve

I am also experiencing slow speeds (both accessing and using the site) .... so I think there is a gremlin in the works somewhere

Regards

Pete

COL BRUGGY
24th July 2016, 11:07
Hello,

Same problems here in OZ, so not a local issue. Makes dial-up look flash!

Col.

bruce dennis
24th July 2016, 11:22
Same for me. Oddly, though, I logged in earlier from my phone and it seemed normal. Since I am hopelessly ignorant on techie matters I do not know if that means anything, but it might help someone in a hurry.

Bruce

wwrsimon
24th July 2016, 11:30
Slow loading for a few days now, and it took an age to reply to a thread earlier. As Col says, it's a bit like being back in the days of dial-up!

Simon

EDIT - when I do reply, I get a pop-up window asking me if I want to leave the page, or stay on the page, which also happened earlier when I replied to a thread.

Jagan
24th July 2016, 16:52
Our hosting is in UK , accessing this from US..but see no issues.. could be load related at that point of time.. Will keep a tab on it.

bruce dennis
24th July 2016, 16:56
Just to confuse matters, the speed is pretty good at the moment. It has been at a crawling pace for two (three?) days.

jossleclercq
24th July 2016, 20:40
Hello

From France, speed as usual, but as explained by Simon, I got a "confirmation window" once when I replied to a thread. I opened a new internet window, and my answer was on the site, so I closed the first "frozen" window.

Joss

Jagan
31st July 2016, 22:10
The site has been slow intermittently today and soem of the previous days. I have opened a ticket with the hosting provider. Will update if i hear from them.

David Layne
1st August 2016, 11:36
Has been exceeding slow loading for a while now.

Jagan
1st August 2016, 17:20
I suspect this is a MySQL DB issue. I will be doing some troubleshooting tonight (When UK is asleep). and see what can be done.

FWIW some parts of the site not on the same DB server or not hitting MySQL appear to be fast..

etc

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead/

or

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/index10.php

Lyffe
1st August 2016, 20:04
Jagan (for info).

For me the problem has been getting worse during the last three weeks or so. I've not been able to access the site via aol at all today, the response always being 'Web address could not be found'. I've accessed it this time via Google but, as others have described, even this is unbelievably slow. Responses from all other sites used are near instantaneous.

Brian

Ross_McNeill
1st August 2016, 20:18
Hi Jagan,

Noticed last week an increasing frequency of an GoogleAdd script being unresponsive (never looked for the fault code as it was sporadic).

This may be part of the problem and, has in the past, given rise to time out script error reports being attributed to forum pages in MySQL log.

Regards
Ross

Jagan
1st August 2016, 20:49
Brian and others,

Can you "Test" your speeds with these two pages and tell me how it is working

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead/ (Try clicking different search items, and filtering)

and

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/index10.php

The test will be very valuable when you see the forum is slow, and if the above pages are fast, i will know what to fix.

bruce dennis
1st August 2016, 21:00
OK, not a technical answer but here goes:
link one was slow to open, search within it quick;
link two was very slow to open, search within very quick.

HTH
Bruce

Lyffe
1st August 2016, 21:17
Jagan

Both almost instantaneous on Google and AOL, in opening and with internal searches .

Brian

Bill Walker
1st August 2016, 21:40
Painfully slow here in Canuckistan as well.

Jagan
1st August 2016, 23:37
Hmm.. I pointed the Front Page site www.rafcommands.com (which is on wp) to a new MySQL server - and it appears to be rather fast...

To confuse matters, the forum seems fine at this point too..

bruce dennis
1st August 2016, 23:56
Yup, forum is quick. Just like the good ole days.
Bruce

Jagan
2nd August 2016, 00:06
Fingers crossed... But dont hold your breath.. maybe its a "Time of the day" issue...

what I would like to confirm is if tomorrow the forum slows down again, please try these four links and report on performance

www.rafcommands.com (pointed to new SQL DB)
www.rafcommands.com/forum (pointed to old SQL DB)
www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead (pointed to new SQL DB)
www.rafcommands.com/archive/index10.php (no SQL DB)

Lyffe
2nd August 2016, 09:19
Just to confirm that at 0815 GMT I'm now receiving immediate responses on AOL, Jagen. Many thanks for sorting the matter out so quickly.

Brian

wwrsimon
2nd August 2016, 10:03
Jagan

In reply to your post #56 - 10.00 am here in the UK - of the four links, the first one was slow, but the rest loaded very quickly.

Simon

EDIT - my reply was very slow to load, and I got the pop-up message 'This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you have entered may not be saved' again

David Layne
2nd August 2016, 12:21
Seems to be OK now

SteveBrooking
2nd August 2016, 20:34
Well it's not OK for me!!!! All references are to UK time.

This morning around 0800 I connected very easily "just like the old days". That experience was repeated again during the morning.

After lunch around 1400 I could not connect at all could not get on the board and of course did not progress. I have made 3 or 4 attempts this afternoon without success and now at 2030 this is my first success in actually getting through to this thread - which has taken probably 6 to 8 minutes.

I see that on the "General Category" there are no posts since early afternoon so I am wondering whether others are having the same problems?

Lyffe
2nd August 2016, 22:17
Confirm Steve's experience; this is the first time I've been able to access the forum since before 1600 GMT. Even this time it was via Google after a delay of some minutes; AOL seems completely unable to find the website.

Brian

Jagan
3rd August 2016, 01:54
This morning around 0800 I connected very easily "just like the old days". That experience was repeated again during the morning.

After lunch around 1400 I could not connect at all could not get on the board and of course did not progress. I have made 3 or 4 attempts this afternoon without success and now at 2030 this is my first success in actually getting through to this thread - which has taken probably 6 to 8 minutes.

I have had similar experience. in the morning it was lightning fast. by late evening, it started slowing down. didnt have to wait 6-8 minutes, but it was still slow.

The other links however were fast . i am contacting the hosting provider again with the new ticket..

wwrsimon
3rd August 2016, 13:15
Jagan

RAFCommands has been completely unavailable here in darkest Northumberland all morning, and just back online now. Still loading very slowly...

Regards

Simon

Jagan
3rd August 2016, 14:14
Yes, the webhosting provider had a total breakdown of the servers on which we were hosted. They had a site outage notice up for twelve hours. Now most of it is back

Forum is slow - still pointed to old server. I will work on getting it moved to a new DB this weekend if the issue doesnt get fixed.

The rest of the site is quite fast.

-Jagan

wwrsimon
3rd August 2016, 15:06
Thanks for all the updates Jagan - it must be very frustrating for you, but needless to say I'm sure we all appreciate your hard work.

Regards

Simon

SteveBrooking
4th August 2016, 20:34
I've not wanted to jump too quickly but so far so good! All seems to be much improved Jagan thank you!
Steve

bruce dennis
4th August 2016, 21:42
Speed and response is pretty good.
Bruce

Jagan
5th August 2016, 00:13
Yeah the host seems to have sorted their issues out.. but still the site was down for almost 40 min in the morning.. :(

wwrsimon
5th August 2016, 09:45
Speedy this morning, so far.

Simon

SteveBrooking
30th November 2016, 11:54
"Google Custom Search"

Recently I have acquired a new search box labelled as above at the top of the page on RAF Commands. I don't know if this is something to do with my PC or whether it comes with the RAF Commands site/forum but I am unable to close it or move it? The problem is that it covers up the log in boxes at the top of the page especially the "remember me" box.

Can anyone help?

Steve

Resmoroh
30th November 2016, 12:18
Yes, I've got it as well. Don't know when it arrived. Don't like it. Its removal would be much appreciated!
TIA
Peter Davies

bruce dennis
30th November 2016, 13:50
Jagan put it there recently as a helpful tool: nothing sinister, if I recall correctly he invited feedback. I have tried it a couple of times and it works and so far I have seen no problems posted. I know unexplained links appearing can be a cause of concern but are either of you (or anyone) actually having a problem caused by this search feature?

Bruce

Resmoroh
30th November 2016, 13:56
There is a Google Custom Search in the task-bar (it works and is where it should be). This new Google Custom Search is pasted over the top of the rafcommands headline banner. Why do we need two, when the second one obscures critical parts of the forum log-in (and can't be moved out of the way!)?
HTH
Peter Davies

bruce dennis
30th November 2016, 14:08
Hmmmm. Something is clearly different on your screen from mine as the 'google search' box isn't obscuring anything on my page. Mine is at the top on the left and all my log-in stuff is on the right. Suggest you advise Jagan, it may be a subtle case of the individual users settings that is beyond my understanding.
HTH,
Bruce

SteveBrooking
30th November 2016, 15:11
Hi Bruce

For me the panel is dead centre and covers active parts of the forum web page. Quite frequently I delete all cookies on my PC which means I have to make a fresh log in on RAF Commands. I realise now having had to log in again that I can actually see the small tick box next to "Remember Me" showing through the Google panel. I did not clock Jagan's announcement about adding this to the forum pages. I tend to agree with Peter I don't see why we need it... Google is permanently bookmarked at the bottom of the forum page and I have it on my PC toolbar anyway...

Steve

bruce dennis
30th November 2016, 15:31
Here is the place to carry this forward:
http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?15320-Forum-Changes-Issues-Feedback-and-Suggestions

The post where Jagan announced the arrival of this feature is I believe number 28. I am sure he will pick up the conversation and I can stop guessing (ain't a techie, me).

Bruce

Resmoroh
1st December 2016, 11:20
Jagan has now sorted this out!
It was all to do with 'browser settings', 'screen pixel numbers' (and other things which I was not aware of!!).
Me not techie either!!
HTH
Peter Davies

Resmoroh
2nd August 2017, 15:47
Is it possible to 'paste' a grid of data (either a 'Word' Table, or a bit of an 'Excel' s/sheet) into a 'Reply'. It can sometimes illustrate a point (and save yards of descriptive text) extremely well. Or does one have to 'build' a pseudo-table with many 'Enter(s)' and 'Space(s)' Very tedious!!
HTH/TIA
Peter Davies

Jagan
2nd August 2017, 16:41
You can do it. Just try it. Here

Resmoroh
2nd August 2017, 16:57
Jagan,

Made nice Word 'table'. Enhanced Borders. Copied. Pasted 'here' (as in yr last)

X Y Z
ONE 74 23 11
TWO 13 00 41
THREE 65 88 99

Comes out rubbish, and no Borders at all. I'm clearly doing something 'wrong', or 'not right' (semantics not my strong point!).

Peter

Jagan
3rd August 2017, 00:48
Hit "Reply" but instead of pasting it in the box - hit "Go Advanced" Button in bottom right corner (next to "Quick Reply" button)..

Then

Test Table from MS Excel

SERIAL
VARIANT
CON_NO

A-3480
Mk132
HT001/0901

A-3481
Mk132
HT002/0902

A-3482
Mk132
HT003/0903

Test Table from Word

SERIAL
VARIANT
CON_NO

A-3480
Mk132
HT001/0901

A-3481
Mk132
HT002/0902

Jagan
3rd August 2017, 00:53
One more thing you may need to do Edit your personal settings

Go here http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

Scroll down to Message Editor Interface: and select "Enhanced Interface - Full WySIWYG Editing" out of the three below optiosn

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
Basic Editor - A simple text box
Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

wwrsimon
13th August 2017, 16:34
Hello Jagan

A few times recently I've been going to the Forum main page, and getting a 'forum lite' version, with a yellow banner. I've uploaded a screenshot to Flickr, as follows:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4436/36543798395_d044652043_b.jpg

There's a button on the top right with three dots, and if I click on that I can access the regular 'full site' via a link. It's not a big issue, but I wondered what was causing it?

Many thanks

Simon

Jagan
13th August 2017, 16:41
Simon, Unfortunately I am not sure as to what is causing this, it keeps happening to me sometimes as well. I scroll down to the bottom and click a link that says "Desktop Version" to get my view back.

wwrsimon
13th August 2017, 16:44
Thanks for the quick reply Jagan. Glad it's not just me it's happening to...!

As I said, it's not a problem, but it's a bit surprising when the 'lite' version appears.

Regards

Simon

Pat
22nd August 2017, 12:57
Just to say have had the same experience yesterday and today, in case it's helpful to know; as Simon says, it's not a problem, but was a bit of an eye-opener the first time! Good to know about the full site button, thanks.

Cheers, Pat.

alclark
25th April 2018, 15:56
I just tried to edit a post, by clicking on the pen icon, was given the option to edit the post but when I clicked in the textarea to add extra text was taken immediately back to the thread and the post had been deleted.

Alex Smart
22nd August 2018, 02:47
Hello,
Tonight I was surprised to find that I had to log in ?
I have been logged in for quite some time and have not had to log in for many months - until today ?
Why is this ?

As it happens the same thing happened on the TOCH forum too.

What's going on ?
Alex

CZ_RAF
22nd August 2018, 06:05
Hi Alex, I would say it has nothing to do with the forum itself.
Have you made any cleaning on your PC, cookies, etc.?
I have to login anytime when I do the cleaning on my PC too.

Pavel

COL BRUGGY
22nd August 2018, 06:45
Hello,

I would have thought personal/Forum issues should be posted on the "Sticky" provided for that purpose, and not interfering with RAF matters on the "General Category".

Col.

jossleclercq
22nd August 2018, 11:49
Hello

I would concur with Pavel. I've ticked the box "recognize me" or similar subject, so I don't have to log in every time I visit.

But I had to clean up my lap top, and indeed, I had to log in again for that reason.

Joss

Alex Smart
22nd August 2018, 13:41
Thank you Joss and Pavel for your kind responces.
Yes I did try to make more room available on my tablet, so expect that is what did it.
However I am still haveing to log in each time I visit the forum although I have ticked the "remember me" box.
Any idea as to how to overcome this and remain as I was in the past, logged in "forever"?
Alex

CZ_RAF
22nd August 2018, 13:55
Alex I am afraid I am not give you any advance for this problem, ticking the "remember me" box always worked for me in such a xase.

Pavel

Alex Smart
22nd August 2018, 14:08
Don't know if it is in anyway connected but I notice that on the "Bar" at the top of the page I see " Old Forum Archive" is over written with the words "Private Messages" any idea as to why this is ?

roundyuk
29th August 2018, 20:27
Is it possible to see posts awaiting approval? I created one yesterday which said it needed to be approved, but nothing is showing yet?

Thanks!

CZ_RAF
29th August 2018, 21:26
Hi roundyuk,

welcome aboard!
I have approved your post.
Good luck with your research.

Pavel

roundyuk
29th August 2018, 22:00
Hi roundyuk,

welcome aboard!
I have approved your post.
Good luck with your research.

Pavel

Thank you sir!

PeteT
28th October 2018, 16:05
Is anyone else experiencing page error displays today ... I am getting the adverts etc at the top of the page all in a stack, rather than across the page.

I have tried rebooting and re-entering the site ... but still the same

Regards

Pete

bruce dennis
28th October 2018, 17:23
Hello Pete,
All seems OK on my screens. Still a problem?

Bruce

Alex Smart
28th October 2018, 20:04
hello, yes I have had the same problem.
I could not even log in.
What I did was search in the Google box and the when an archive page showed up I scrolled down to bottom of page where it said log in, this done I was "in" thus this post.
So- What the Heck has gone wrong????

Now Looking at page all seems normal but will leave forum and try to log in "as normally do to see if it has gone back 5o the advert problem.

Alex Smart
28th October 2018, 20:54
same problem, still the same ????

Jagan
28th October 2018, 22:15
Pete and Alex,

That got me flummoxed.. I know when it started happening, i made a change to make sure the CWGC database and serial search is visible to people not logged in. that in turn seemed to have triggered some Ad Code though it was not the intention.

I reversed it now. and validated it was not happening. (Atleast that stack of ads)

EDIT: Found the culprit - now the search should be visible even though not logged in . And no ads.

Alex Smart
29th October 2018, 00:22
Hello,
Seems to be back to normal now.:)
Many thanks , it was a bit wording as the adds covered the log in area of the heading.
Alex

Scott McIntosh
4th December 2018, 22:35
Ive just logged in for the first time in quite some time and tried to post a message in the general section.

I got message saying I was banned but not giving a reason why.

Any ideas?

Is this a decision that was taken to ban all old accounts that hadnt posted in a while.

Let me know thanks.

Regards Scott

bruce dennis
4th December 2018, 22:47
Ive just logged in for the first time in quite some time and tried to post a message in the general section.

I got message saying I was banned but not giving a reason why.

Any ideas?

Is this a decision that was taken to ban all old accounts that hadnt posted in a while.

Let me know thanks.

Regards Scott

Hello Scott,
You are not banned, don't know why you got the message. As a test, I am sending you a PM in a moment, please confirm you get it and reply with a PM.

Bruce

bruce dennis
4th December 2018, 22:57
Scott, I got your reply PM.

Bruce

Jagan
5th December 2018, 14:16
This happened to someone else too who is a frequent poster . but seemed to have got resolved on its own .

Hasnt happened to me yet - so I dont know what is causing it.

Did it happen during a reply to an existing thread (if yes - which one?) or when creating a new thread?

Scott McIntosh
5th December 2018, 17:56
This happened to someone else too who is a frequent poster . but seemed to have got resolved on its own .

Hasnt happened to me yet - so I dont know what is causing it.

Did it happen during a reply to an existing thread (if yes - which one?) or when creating a new thread?

I Think what has happened is that I logged in and then while typing the post I have been timed out and logged out.

I tried replying to a post while not logged in and it gives the same answer.

So it looks very much like a not being logged in issue.

You may want to look st the software and see if the error message can be changed tp one that simply says please log in first to post or reply.

Some people might take exception to being banned but not if you see what I mean.

Thanks to all that replied.

Jake Drummond
20th December 2018, 14:22
Me too, and there was me thinking I'd done something wrong! Thankfully all OK now.

wwrsimon
7th May 2019, 12:05
Hello

Just got a Firefox security warning after clicking on a link from Google (https://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/V6735):

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead
Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.rafcommands.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

Obviously it's fine (I hope!), but just so the Mods are aware.

Regards

Simon

Jagan
7th May 2019, 12:16
It's fine Simon.

Essentially the site is still on http:// and not https://.. so if someone uses a https:// url. The warning appears.

wwrsimon
7th May 2019, 13:35
Thanks Jagan. I was sure it was fine, I just wanted to make you aware that Firefox was claiming there was a potential problem.

Regards

Simon

dennis_burke
7th May 2019, 14:34
I've checked it on Chrome and IE just there now, and there are warnings also. For info

malcolm_raf
21st May 2019, 16:02
Hi

Is there a problem with the Databases, I keep getting a message saying 'unable to connect'

Malcolm

Jagan
22nd May 2019, 03:26
the service provider had some db issues - everything is back up earlier.

malcolm_raf
22nd May 2019, 15:47
Cheers Jagan

I am connected again

Malcolm

wwrsimon
17th June 2019, 16:59
Are the databases down again?

I'm getting 'Could not connect to the RAF DB database' when I try to access the P.o.W. lists.

regards

Simon

EDIT - the 'old site' P.o.W. list seems to work okay: http://www.rafcommands.com/old-site/air-force-pows/

EDIT 2 - it's working now. Thank you.

wwrsimon
6th August 2019, 12:14
Helo, me again! I'm getting the following error message while trying to visit www.rafcommands.com on Firefox (v.68.0.1). Safari is working fine.

Your server is running PHP version 5.5.38 but WordPress 5.2.2 requires at least 5.6.20.

Regards

Simon

Jagan
7th August 2019, 03:25
Simon, i seem to be getting the same error when using firefox - but not on chrome or IE! working on the issue.. the wordpress install got corrupted that i am trying to fix now.

Edit - I have fixed the issue - but had to find a new template and do a clean installation for the main site.. maybe a bit garish colors, but we gotta live with it.

CZ_RAF
7th August 2019, 07:28
Hi chaps, I am also using Firefox (v.68.0.1) and I have no problem at all since I have upgraded to this version.

Pavel

wwrsimon
7th August 2019, 13:38
Thanks Jagan.

Regards

Simon

Alex Smart
3rd October 2019, 14:44
Hello,
Has anyone else had this problem when posting ?
I find (so far) that I can post OK. BUT, the application box at the top of the "post box" ( hope you know what I refer too ) is a blank.
No details of functions.
Alex

CZ_RAF
3rd October 2019, 16:48
Sorry Alex I did not cacth what do you mean... You mean the buttons for post formatting?
Anyway I have no problem in Firefox 69.0.1.
May be you have recently updated your browser or contrariwise you need to update it?

Pavel

Alex Smart
3rd October 2019, 18:10
Hello Pavel,

Yes, that's what I meant.
However all seems to be right again now.
So have no idea as to why it happened ?
Alex

CZ_RAF
3rd October 2019, 18:47
Alex,
it may be solved by according to the programmers joke that most of the problems can be solved by method "get off - get on", i.e. it may be some kind of temporary problem in your browser which would disappear when you close your browser and then start it again.
But it is just my guess.

Pavel

PeteT
2nd November 2019, 17:44
Is it just me or are other members now getting adverts in the middle of every post reply as well as at the top of the thread?

Jagan
2nd November 2019, 19:32
Yes there was a change in google ads settings - the ads have become more obnoxius - but it should be fixable by some settings which I will do so soon.

Quick resolution - for members - If you are logged in you should not be getting any adverts. Let me know if you find any

PeteT
2nd November 2019, 19:49
Thanks Jagan .... I will stay logged in for the time being

Dissasterrus123
30th January 2020, 11:33
Hello Gentlemen. I have tried using the guest login so as to post some service record images, tried three times using the user/login words shown in yellow, but have not succeeded. Twice copy/paste, and once typing in the letters VERY carefully (lol) Has anyone got any advice? Would be most appreciated. EDIT : Please ignore, I am an idiot, figured it out .....

jmdavies86
11th April 2020, 15:38
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm having difficulty adding images to a post that I want to make; it's asking me to input a URL, however the images are on my desktop?!

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to resolve this please?!

Thanks in advance.

CZ_RAF
11th April 2020, 15:54
Hi welcome, aboard. Please refer to the thread below

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?15918-Image-Gallery-Tutorial-Updates

HTH

Pavel

jmdavies86
11th April 2020, 17:52
Hi welcome, aboard. Please refer to the thread below

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?15918-Image-Gallery-Tutorial-Updates

HTH

Pavel

Thanks Pavel, I've looked at the tutorial however I can't seem to find the log-in details for the guest account...?!

James_Fitzy
27th May 2020, 19:39
Thanks Pavel, I've looked at the tutorial however I can't seem to find the log-in details for the guest account...?!

I'm looking for this as well in order to upload a photo for a reply. Where are the common guess account details as I can't see them? The guide says to look for the notice at the top of the General Categories forum, but I cannot see any details.

Jagan
27th May 2020, 19:45
Check your PM.

ChrisW01
15th June 2020, 23:52
I cannot upload pictures to the image galleries. It will not accept my login password yet I can log into the forums, tried logging out and back in, I have used Google, Chrome, Explorer, MS Edge with no luck. Help please?
Chris.....

Alex Smart
30th July 2020, 00:28
Tonight I cannot access the database. Is there a problem with it ?

Keith Bryers
30th July 2020, 09:21
Not working this morning either.

Keith

Jagan
30th July 2020, 13:01
Following up with the service provider.

The database section had been getting an increased amount of traffic over the past two years. and at some points it gets absolutely whacked.

EDIT: Some issue at their end

Our Engineers are continuing to work with our datacentre team to restore the database server for our shared hosting infrastructure. Customers that connect directly to XXXXXXXX will be experiencing issues with their website. We will provide other updates as we have them.
Please note, we will be carrying out some essential maintenance on our XXXXXXX server TONIGHT, Wednesday 29th July, at 20.00. This is anticipated to take less than 30 minutes. During this time, all connections to this server will drop, and customers will not be able to manage databases via the control panels.
This status will be further updated once the work is complete.

The Support Team.

Keith Bryers
30th July 2020, 20:19
We tend to take these things for granted these days! Many thanks for all the work you and the team do behind the scenes.

Keith

Alex Smart
31st July 2020, 00:54
Fully agree with you Keith.
I see that it seems to be up and running again.
THANK YOU Jagan and your Support Team.

Resmoroh
19th March 2021, 14:04
Hello All,
Don't know how to start a new thread in this section, so forgive me.
For the past months I have been working quite a lot on the ETO POW Google-sheet.
Recently a contributor to that sheet (uses a medium-blue cell fill as an identifier) is inserting data.
(S)he has "slashed zeros" in whatever font is being used!
I have always wanted this. I want 'slashed zeros' (both in Word and Excel). How do I get them?
I have tried using the 'Help' sections of both but, not having a PhD in computer science, I have failed miserably! I can make individual zeros 'slashed', but can't make the font on my desk-top always 'slash' the zeros!!
Can anybody help?
Peter Davies

paulmcmillan
19th March 2021, 15:25
Peter sorry do not understand what you mean by Slashed Zeros ? can you provide an example here?

Resmoroh
19th March 2021, 16:05
Paul,
It is the figure zero with a stoke across it running from botton left to top right of the 'circle'. It's purpose is to differentiate it from the letter 'O'. The letter 'O' when written scripts were still in use (and Tx/Rx by H/F W/T) would, quite frequently, have a 'dot' in the middle of the 'O'. This again, was to avoid confusion with the figure zero. You will have noted that in military writing/printing the small circle character (in serial numbers, etc) is almosy entrirely used as a figure, and very rarely as the letter. If you Google Inconsolata, you will be presented with a font. If you look at the numbers sequence you will see that the zero is 'slashed'. I want this. It is what I was used for more than 40 yrs, and makes me feel much more comfortable.
If, for some reason, Microsoft does not like the Inconsolata font (for political or financial reasons) then so be it. I saw that some correspondent had used a font with a 'slashed zero' on the ETO POW Google-sheet. I want it. How do I get it?
HTH
Peter Davies

paulmcmillan
19th March 2021, 16:21
You mean ?

Change the font

See https://seniortechgroup.com/pxtg/font-with-slashed-zero/

Resmoroh
19th March 2021, 16:46
Paul,
That is precisely what I mean.
You have given me several fonts with 'slashed zeros'. For which I thank you.
I'm trying to find out of they will run - as a routine - on a W10 Dell desktop. And if I install one of them will it - when a DT rceives one of my emails - cause the DT computer to crash? Beyond my computer knowldge/ability! Thus my request for info/guidance from the experts!
Tks yr help.
Peter

paulmcmillan
19th March 2021, 21:34
You can change the font in Google Sheets there is an option at the top

AndrewClark
10th July 2021, 21:00
Can someone tell me how to change the title of a post please? I'd like to change mine titled "Squadron Leader 'Jock' Murray DFM+Bar, DFC, DSO" to "James Whiteford MURRAY 740164 later 84977)" if possible please........

Thanks

Andrew

wwrsimon
10th August 2022, 16:26
What's up with the http://www.rafcommands.com/ page? I'm getting the following error message:

Your server is running PHP version 5.5.38 but WordPress 6.0.1 requires at least 5.6.20.

It's doing it in Firefox and Safari. Does something need updating?

Thanks

Simon

EDIT - it's working now!