PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Raf Commands

Steve Brew
13th November 2008, 12:30
Hi Ross

I note the 'new' RAF Commands Forum is a year old today - hard to believe it has flown so fast. Let me take this opportunity to thank you for all your work - and patience with spam and spammers (and a few others here and there!) - in providing this medium to us all. Without it, research would be that much more difficult. Thanks and well done!

Steve

PS. Let's not to forget Dakota's assistance, too!

CZ_RAF
13th November 2008, 12:51
Hi everyone,

I would like also to add my BIG THANKS to Ross and Chris for their nice work and enthusiasm!

Pavel

allan125
13th November 2008, 12:54
Hello Ross and Dakota

Wishing 1st Birthday greetings to our hard working RAF Commands Forums team of Ross & Dakota - and many more successful years to come.

Let Spam continue to be something from a can, and not on our PC's!!

cheers

Allan

jonny
13th November 2008, 13:21
The folks on this Forum have helped me no end over the years and I would like to take the opportunity to say a big thank you to one and all. Happy birthday and well done Ross.

bruce dennis
13th November 2008, 13:45
Please add my thanks and congratulations to your growing list of accolades.

Keep up the good work. The world is a better place when people can communicate, so please never underestimate the benefit a forum like thus can have towards establishing the truth about 'what happened', whether it is for a relative of someone lost or simply adding accuracy to the history of a momentous time in history.

Bruce

peter
13th November 2008, 15:00
One year, how time flies. Without this site research would be most difficult.

Many thanks and congratulations.

Peter

Ross_McNeill
13th November 2008, 15:07
Thanks people,

You are making me blush!

I had honestly forgot that it was a year ago I was ready to make this board live after a period of off line testing.

Now it contains about 3,100 threads made up of almost 18,000 posts.

The old board (2001 -2007)was retired at 13,493 threads, all of which are archived and amount to almost 68 Meg of online storage.

All advert free and search engine available.

Just a shame that the posts on the very first board (1999-2001) have been lost into cyberspace. I deeply regret not taking the plunge to fund storage for this early board.

Thanks for all your support.

Regards
Ross

paulmcmillan
13th November 2008, 15:13
Ross

Out of interest, what was the web address of the very first forum??

was in to disc.server.com ?

Paul

Dutch
13th November 2008, 15:23
Warmest congratulations and thanks on New RAF Commands' 1st birthday. And many Happy Returns!

Hans

Dakota
13th November 2008, 15:44
G'day Chaps

Thanks for your kind words but I am only a minor character in this grande performance. The star of the show is undoubtedly Ross., who I might add as a navigator, took great pleasure in telling pilots where to go!

I'd like to take this opportunity to personnaly thank Ross for his trmendous effort and hard work. It has been most difficult at times escpecially with spammers, but Ross has prevailed. I can truthfully say I've never been associated with a more professional site.
I will continue to support it as much as I can.

Ross you can tell me where to go any time (-:

Cheers...Chris

Henk Welting
13th November 2008, 16:14
That's what we say over here in Holland. Congratulations and thanks to you Ross and Chris. Where would I be with my airmen/women unaccounted for without this great forum site. Keep on the good work.
Best regards,
Henk.

allan125
13th November 2008, 16:48
The old board (2001 -2007)was retired at 13,493 threads, all of which are archived and amount to almost 68 Meg of online storage.

Hello Ross

Strangely enough it was only yesterday that I perused archive page 258 of the old forum for the 41 Squadron entry (discussing 41 Squadron / 125 Wing meeting the VVS on 24 April 1945) started by Vlad Antipov on 25 Oct 2005, and the earlier link to a piece originated by Stein Meum on 2 May 2005, as Steve Brew and I had been discussing it off board as he had interviewed a 41 Squadron participant in the meeting.

It was nice to read all the comments from 3 years ago on both items with so many of us hanging on in there learning more things daily!!

cheers

Allan

Lyffe
13th November 2008, 17:22
I'd like to add my appreciation too, not only to Ross without whom none of this would be possible, but to everyone for their willingness to help others both on and off board. Thanks one and all.

Brian

Galgos
13th November 2008, 17:56
Hear, hear, those are my sentiments too Brian.
Regards
Max

davew
13th November 2008, 18:00
And a very friendly place too!

DaveW

Linzee
13th November 2008, 18:13
A huge thanks from me too. The RAF Commands forums have been invaluable to me over the years I have been researching various WWII aircraft and crew losses. Ross has managed to provide a sensible, well managed, friendly and informative platform for us all to meet and exchange information.

It's not just the people who use this forum that are helped by it either. Through leads and information gleaned on RAF Commands I have been able to provide both veterans and relatives of airmen with precious information that would have been very difficult to find otherwise.

There must be plenty of websites, books, magazine articles, etc that have been assisted by RAF Commands over the years, not to mention the details required when researching for new memorials and plaques etc.

Ross and the ladies and gents who frequent this forum, thank you and Happy Birthday!

Linzee

Dick
13th November 2008, 18:38
As an ex Coastal Command Radar Operator who even told Navs where they should be pointing ,may I add my Best Wishes
Long may it continue
Dick

Argus
13th November 2008, 18:57
Also many warm greetings to Ross and Chris from Denmark. They have done their utmost to keep this forum alive.

In 1945 the BBC had the greetings "Hilsen to Arthur and Otto" to our local people in the Resistance.

This is another story!

Finn Buch

Wolves Guy
13th November 2008, 19:00
Congratulations Ross and Dakota on the first birthday

Mosquito
13th November 2008, 19:33
..and congratulations from Neustadt/Germany. Without any doubt the best and most competent forum on the net.

Steve

mhuxt
13th November 2008, 20:03
Best place on the net so far as I'm concerned - thanks and congratulations!

ianh
13th November 2008, 20:14
Yup, many thanks Ross for all your efforts in creating and sustaining one of the best sites on the web. And to all other forumites for your assistance over the couple of years since I discovered you. Such nice, polite people. None of this unseemly ranting and name-calling like you see on some other discussion forums.

Now how about Ross getting the beers in?...

Ian

Errol Martyn
13th November 2008, 20:31
Hear, hear! Well done that man. And congratulations not just for the first year on this new forum but also for Ross's dedication to the task since 1999, when the first was set up.

Time to buy in 10 candles for next year and line up a large number of beers?!

Errol

Stewart McLoughlin
13th November 2008, 21:32
Congratulations and a sincere thank you to all involved who run the site and to the other knowledgeable peoples out there who answer our sometimes silly and impossible questions with skill and forbearance for us amateurs. I certainly would not have achieved anything near what I have without you.
Stewart
P.S. found another of our missing only this week.

highgroundsman
13th November 2008, 22:44
Me too!

Cheers! Ross & Chris,

Here`s to many more years of happy research.

" Never in the field of aviation history, is so much owed by so many,to so few".

All the best fellas!

Dave.

Tom Allett
13th November 2008, 23:11
Yes, well done Ross. This is a great site - keep up the good work.
Tom

aestorm
14th November 2008, 09:02
A great site & thank you to Ross & many others for help given over the years .

By the way I've just returned from a few days away & now have to log in each time ?
Is this new ?

Anne

Dyan
15th November 2008, 10:09
to everyone especially Ross and Chris, and also one other person on this board Dennis Burke a young man with a heart of gold and others too but Dennis particularly. Without this MB I would never have found my cousin and then the rest of the crew families from his Sunderland. So from the families of the crew of Sunderland DW110 Coastal Command 228 Squadron our hearfelt thanks and congratulations and please carry on the great work you all do it brings closure to many families.

Dyan in NZ

Jagan
15th November 2008, 20:02
Congratulations and a big thank you to Ross and the team that helps him out in moderation. Needless to point out, this is the first destination i turn to for any clarifications on RAF matters from WW2.

Thank you all.

Bertrand H
15th November 2008, 20:12
Twice a day I spend some minutes on your very helpful site ; congratulations Ross and Dakota to have create one of the best forum.

Bertrand H

Steve Brew
15th November 2008, 20:39
Wow, I didn't quite expect this level of responses when I made my first post on this subject, but I have to say that I agree with every one of these sentiments.

'Bad news is, Ross, that it looks like you're going to be stuck with us a bit longer! :-)

Taff_S
15th November 2008, 21:34
Well done Ross and Chris for providing an excellent forum with so many experienced researchers and interesting threads from members.

Also, to everyone who has provided me with help in my RAF quest a big warm hearted thank you.

Regards.

Steve.

Bengt
16th November 2008, 00:17
Congratulations to Chris, Ross and the forum,
and many thanks to all who have helped me with my questions on this splendid forum!

Bengt

Bill Walker
16th November 2008, 19:07
Just returned from a business trip, so happy belated birthday, and thanks to Ross for creating this great Forum. Also thanks to the many other Forum members who have been so helpful over the years.

robstitt
17th November 2008, 01:21
Thanks and congratulations to Ross and Chris on setting up and maintaining such a quality resource. And thanks to all those who contribute - always interesting.
Robert