Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Liberator Website

Thanks

Default RAF Liberator Website

I have twice in the last few months attempted to register with this site (http://www.rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_auser&view=login&Itemid=5), most recently today. On occasions the screen tells me that a confirmation will be sent to my e-mail address and that I must activate my registration via that mesaage.

But the confirmation message DOES NOT ARRIVE, and attempts to communicate with the administrator fail because I am not fully registered. If I attempt to re-register, the process fails because my user name is already in use - from my previous registration attempt !

Has anyone else had this problem ? Have they a solution ? Can anyone, on my behalf, ask the site webmaster to contact me to complete the process

Thanks

Similar experience, 4-9-2009, gave up in frustration! Not very user-friendly.

Col.

Thanks

Hugh & Col
    I am a member but the "contact us " doesn't work [at as 7th Jan '11 ]
    Can you access report a fault without registering ? Fault type "no email confirmation "

I have just received an email reminder of my user name .My last contact with Gary ,the Administrator, whom I think lives in NZ, was April 2009, so his email address may have changed .

gary At acseac dot co dot uk. Change AT for @ & dot for . etc

Anne

Thanks

Having attempted to contact the site manager by e-mail, I have received the following:

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server. (gary@acseac.co.uk).

It would appear that the website is, for all practical purposes, dead.

Thanks

Yes, Gary may have discontinued with the site ?
    I think he emigrated to NZ from UK a few years ago.

Can I look for info. for you, though it's frustrating if you can't search the site yourself ?

Anne

Thanks

Today I tried to register and succeded. Have just been checking the site and Gary is still active (he made the last update on the 3 January 2011). If you are interested I can try to forward an email as a "private message".

Regads,
    Peter
    Last edited by phasselgren; 9th January 2011 at 19:12.

Thanks

I would indeed appreciate your forwarding to him the contents of my messages of 6 and 9 January.

Thanks

Sheesh a few errors and you lot give up and think I'm dead.
    No the site is not dead
    Yes I emigrated to New Zealand 5 years ago
    No acseac.co.uk doesn't currently point to the main site
    Yes rafb24.com does work
    Yes the email system works fine as there are dozens of new members (mostly Russians that get deleted) registering each and every day.

Similar experience, 4-9-2009, gave up in frustration! Not very user-friendly
    having email sent to your junk email folder doesn't mean the site is not user friendly.

Yes sorry about that, the contact us stopped working 2 weeks ago when there was a major site outage, I am still in the process of restoring documents and content so there could well be problems with certain pages. But there is a forum on the site and if you are a registered user you could just post a note in there. In the forum mentioned I have actually posted all of the information about the ongoing issues and how they transpired.

I don't mean to sound off but the site has been going for 12 years now and short of me snuffing it will still be around in 12 years time. If anyone gets any issues with the site please just post a comment in the forums or send me an email on gary@rafb24.com or send me a PM through the site. I'm not totally unreachable as Peter has found out. Once Peter contacted me the issue was resolved within 12 hours ;)

I just don't like comments like
    It would appear that the website is, for all practical purposes, dead.
    the site isn't dead it's just having some problems which I'm working on while trying to raise a family etc.

Hello Anne good to see you're still around.

Cheers
    Gary
    RAF Liberator Squadrons
    Last edited by RAF Liberators; 15th January 2011 at 03:39.

Thanks

Hello Gary
    Welcome .I'm glad all is well
    I hope you weren't affected by the Christchurch eathquakes ?
    I have friends & relatives in Brisbane, one in Bellbowrie whom I'm worried about but the others live in an older suburb, which is on higher ground .

Regards
    Anne

Thanks

Hi Anne
    All good here thanks, I live on the warmer North Island and well away from the Quakes which are are actually still kind of happening with some pretty major aftershocks happening only a couple weeks back.
    The problems with the site are all my own doing I'm afraid :(
    I'm in the process of moving the whole site to a new hosting company that gives me unlimited disk space and bandwidth. I have hundreds more photos to add and thousands of ORBs to add, the current site sits at about 2GB which in terms of websites is pretty big, I estimate that it will grown to about 8GB by the end of the year. As well as moving the site I was also in the process of a major upgrade to the site. I was in the process of moving the databases and accidently managed to move the main database on to itself which wiped out the tables before telling me that it couldn't continue because the database already existed, not much use telling me after the event. So I thought I'd restore from nightly backups, unfortunately the backups I had relied on were actually corrupt and only had the first half of everything. I'm left with a few thousand partial documents which I'm trying to rebuild from old manual backups and SQL dumps. I have a heap of updates, photos, documents etc I want to add to the site and I can't at the moment, even the forum posts are truncated.
    It's going to be a long haul restoring the site and I don't even know if I have all of the data and won't know for a while. After the first week I actually wanted to just give up and say enough is enough but I've got past that stage now.
    So if my response seemed a tad short I'm sorry but there is a lot going on at the moment and it's only me running the whole thing. It's easy to sit back and poke holes when things don't run right but for 12 years RAF Liberator Squadrons (acseac.co.uk and rafb24.com) has been helping to reunited people and help others fill in the missing parts so cut me a bit of slack please :)
    Gary