Thread: Squadron Leader Ronald Edward Sidney Smith DFC 87037 - died on 09/09/44

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Ronald Edward Sidney Smith DFC 87037 - died on 09/09/44

Can anyone help me with a cause of death for Squadron Leader Ronald Edward Sidney Smith DFC 87037 died on 09/09/44 age 28 and is buried in Down Hatherley (St Mary and Corpus Christi) Churchyard. Sorry no squadron is known.
    Thank you in advance
    James

Thanks

James

His death is registered at Uxbridge. I can offer as a probable cause the crash on take off from Northolt of Mosquito NS565. The location is given as 1.5 miles W of the airfield. I do not know if there was another casualty involved.
    regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Ronald Edward Sidney Smith DFC 87037

James, Do not know if this will help when he was awarded his D.F.C., he held the rank of Flying Officer and at that time he was with Number 61 Squadron. He was promoted to the rank of Flt. Lt., from 19/4/1943. "Source" Supplement to London Gazette 2/7/1943.

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Ronald Edward Sidney Smith DFC 87037

Mosquito NS 565 was a PR XV1 version built Hatfield and part of a contract delivered between 24/3/1944 and 31.12/44. This aircraft appears to have been on the strength of 540 (PR) Squadron based at RAF Benson September 1944.

Thanks

Hello,

The CWGC is in error quoting just a DFC for 87037 S/L (Pilot) Ronald Edward Sidney SMITH DFC & Bar RAFVR. LG 36211. 12 October, 1943. p.4560 shows this. Flight. November 18, 1943. p.569, provides us with a citation:
    Awards - Royal Air Force.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy.
    Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Act. Sqn. Ldr. R.E.S. SMITH. D.F.C., R.A.F.V.R., No.57 Sqn. - Sqn. Ldr. Smith, now on his second tour of operational duty, has completed a large number of sorties,. These include nine attacks on targets in the Ruhr Valley, three attacks on Hamburg, and one on Peenemunde.

At the time of its loss, I believe Mosquito PR XVI NS565, was on the strength of No.34 Wing Support Unit*, which was based at Northolt.

*Thirty Four Wing - An Unofficial Account. On 23rd July (1944), authority was given for the formation of a Wing Support Unit which was to supply replacement aircraft and crews. It formed at Northolt on August 1st, (1944), under the command of 37159 W/C Rowland Branston COX RAF (RAFO), and, during the rest of the war, it was based in England where it trained crews, modified aircraft and carried out some very valuable work in the development of the technique of Night Photography.

See: http://www.34wing.co.uk/34wing.html

p.25 of 52.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th January 2011 at 07:03.

Thanks

Dear All
    Thank you for your invaluable input on this man. Together you have given the answers I was looking for. Col, I will send the CWGC an e-mail to see what they think. I have succeeeded once in getting a headstone changed as it had the wrong rank. Hopefully they can send out a man with a chisel and give Ronald Smith his bar!
    Thank you again to all of you.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Dear Col
    The CWGC is going to ammend his headstone. Thank you for your help.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

James,

Good job, well done!

Col.