Thread: 109 Sqn Mosquito i/d - ?K324

Thanks

Default 109 Sqn Mosquito i/d - ?K324

Hi all

The 109 Sqn ORB shows that the above (F/L A'Court) 'visited' Woodbridge on 16/9/1944. Unfortunately the microfilm screen at Kew didn't make clear the first letter of the serial. I thought it looked like JK324 but I don't think that was a Mossie serial.

Air Britain shows there was a Mossie DK324, but that was an early one, around in 1942, and I wouldn't have thought that one would be still on ops 2 yrs later. (Also A-B doesn't show that one as ever being with 109 Sqn).

Could anyone please clarify for me this a/c's serial number? Does anyone have a copy of 109's ORB and could maybe check other entries around that date?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Ian

Thanks

HK324 was a Mosquito XVII delivered 1943, with de Havilland, Telecommunications Research Establishment, Night Fighter Development Wing and Central Fighter Establishment, Struck off charge 31st October 1946.

From ROYAL AIR FORCE AIRCRAFT HA100-HZ999 (Halley)

Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Ian:
    F/L A'Court's navigator was a friend of mine. Possibly I could get a look at his logbook. Was this a return from an op?
    Ari

Thanks

Default 109 Sqn Mossie ?K324

Hi Ian and Ari. Thanks for those replies.

Ian - that's one option although as you say, that one doesn't look like it was with 109 Sqn.

Ari - that sounds promising. If you could ask that would be very helpful. The ORB says they landed at 00.25 (the Woodbridge ORB says 00.15) so I guess they were probably returning from an op but I don't think the 109 ORB said where from. The undercarriage hadn't come down fully by the time they landed and the a/c slid along on its belly for about 300 yds. I think it was a/c 'HS-Q' but it's the serial I'm after.

So any help much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ian

Thanks

Ian - it is fairly clear on my copy of the 109 ORB and was definately Mosquito IX DK.324, it was the prototype Mk. IX, first flown on March 24/43 and was converted from a PR.VIII.
    They were returning from an experimental bombing op to RHEINE. Also the comment says: "Landed at Woodbridge on one engine". All four aircraft sent out from 109 had techinical failures (Oboe failures) and two of them dropped their bombs in the "Osnabruck area" & "Rheine area" according to the RAF Little Staughton ORB.
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 14th January 2011 at 13:42.

Thanks

Default 109 Sqn Mossie ?K324

Hi Dave, nice to hear from you.

Many thanks for that confirmation. Another gap filled. Plus a few extra details as a bonus!

I thought someone on here would have the answer.

Regards

Ian