Thread: Ops Egg

Thanks

Default Ops Egg

Hi All,

I know after an Op bomber crews received bacon and eggs, but did they receive the same before an Op ?

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Do you think we're made of eggs!!!!

I suspect not. Since most ops were flown at night, the evening meal would most likely have been different. I think I would have been quite bored to have the same meal twice in 24 hours and when some guys occasionally flew on successive nights, it would get a bit too 'sameness'.

There'll be a veteran out there somewhere, however, who will reveal all.

Old Duffer

Thanks

My father was a Pathfinder skipper with 101,156 and 582 Squadrons. The tradition was to have bacon and eggs upon return from a sortie as it was usually in the wee hours of the morning. However, the crews got up in arms and said they wanted their eggs and bacon before ops as it may well be their last meal for good or for a number of days if they were shot down. The bases where he was stationed succumbed to their wishes and so they had their meal before they left. Boredom never happened with him as bacon and eggs were a luxury and being a farm boy from Saskatchewan, he enjoyed every one of them.
    Leslie

Thanks

Hi Leslie,

Many thanks for that, I had a feeling that was the case. A crew Ive been researching, their Aussie pilot gained his wings at Saskatoon at 4 SFTS in October 1942.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

John
    I was told, by some men in the 31/34 SAAF bomber & possibly RAF bomber squadrons based on the Foggia plain, Italy, that bacon & eggs together wasn't an option .The crews returned to tents ,instead of wooden huts, often walking through mud back to the tents & to the Mess .Some "tent dwellers" had their own makeship stoves on which they cooked whatever food they could barter from the locals or obtain otherwise , sometimes eggs. One USAAF sqdn based nearby, had a good supply of food & drink which sometimes could be exchanged with the SAAF sqdn's brandy !

There seemed to be a good supply of cigarettes, as seen in most informal crew photos !!

This is what I have been told by men from these squadrons but how true it was for all Foggia based sqdns. I don't know.

The local people were often short of food themselves.

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 14th January 2011 at 08:44.