Thread: F/o frederick john sydney guppy

Thanks

Default F/o frederick john sydney guppy

Good evening all,

I have come across the name of this airman during my research and he appears to have been the best friend of one of the crew of LK635. Now it is said he was in an a/c behind LK635 when she was blown out of the sky over Hannover in 1943. Although the family are not 100% sure of his name this is the closest I have come to having a sketchy link for more info on LK635's loss.

I am hoping that he submitted a report at debrief after the raid but on the CWGC site it does not give his squadron. It may then be possible to locate the correct documents at the NA. I have checked "lost Bombers" & "Geoffs list" but neither site has him listed at all.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1799008

does anyone know of a way of identifying his squadron? or point me in the right direction to find him?

regards

Nick

Thanks

Hello,

2-10-1943
    No.23 OTU
    Wellington III X3470 "D"
    Training.

Took off 1937 Pershore for a night training exercise. At 2135 the direction finding station at Sealand transmitted a fix and at the time the Wellington was more or less on course for its turning point at the Skerries. Nothing further was heard, but the crew of another aircraft, operating off the Pembrokeshire coast, report seeing a Wellington falling into the sea. This crew immediately commenced searching for possible survivors, but were unsuccessful.

C/17965 P/O William Homer FULLER RCAF +
    R/88005 Sgt Leslie Austin PINCHESS RCAF +
    J/23112 F/O Frederick John Sydney GUPPY RCAF +
    J/23490 F/O Angus Fyfe BELL RCAF +
    1509809 Sgt Leslie HOCKEY +
    R/184379 Sgt Allan Joseph COPEGOG RCAF +

All commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

See: BCL7/253

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 15th January 2011 at 22:56.

Thanks

Many thanks for all that Col Bruggy.

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but does that mean that Guppy could not have been on the Hannover raid on 22/9/1943? OTU to me sounds as if he was still in a crew that was not yet at a squadron or did they at times go back to the OTU for re-training?

if it is the latter then I will send for his service records or it could just be that this is the wrong Guppy.

regards

Nick

Thanks

Hello all,

Well it looks like it is nearly 3 years since I wrote this thread and I have been given some new information. This is where the problem raises its ugly head again.

From this new information the Airman above is not the "Guppy" I am looking for.

The sister of Walter Edward Dickson known to his family as "Bud" has relayed that a young RCAF man came to the family house AFTER the war to see Walter's parents. He said that he had been in an aircraft that was just behind LK635 of 428 Squadron during the raid on Hanover on 22 Sept 1943. He told them that he saw the aircraft explode and that "no one" could have survived. The name she remembers is "Douglas GUPPY" but that is all she knows.

from Walters records:

He joined 1 Manning depot Torontoon 7 Mar 1942 and was sent to 14 Service flying training school at Aylmer, Ontario 25 Apr 1942.
    From there he attended 5 Initial training school at Belleville.
    He was stationed at 4 bombing & gunnery school Fingal on 27 Sept 1942 for 2 months before being posted to 1 Air observers school, Malton, Ontario 22 Nov 1942.
    He was then sent to 1 “Y” depot to await posting overseas and landed at 3 PRC Bournemouth on 5 Feb 1943.
    His training did not stop there he was posted to Whitley bay for a month before going on to 4 Observers school West Freugh 19 Apr 1943.
    On 18 May 1943 he was sent to 24 OTU and then on to 1664 HCU on 24 Jul 1943.
    Finally being posted to 428 on 17 Aug 1943.

I have had a look around the web and the only thing I can find is that Walter was that he was on Course 64: September 26 - November 21, 1942 at Fingal and graduated as an Air Bomber.
    But my problem is now that "Guppy" was not on the course at Fingal, neither was he with 419 or 420 Squadrons that I can see. The ORB for 419 is on the web and Guppy is not in a crew for the 22nd with them.

So my question would be (finally I hear you ask) how would I find a Douglas Guppy WHO served in the RCAF and was present at Hanover BUT survived the war. We all look for lost crews but I have no idea how to find a surviving airman.

kindest regards

Nick

Thanks

Have you checked the 428 Sqn ORB? That is the obvious place to look, I don't see the connection in what you've written to 419 & 420.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Sorry just to clarify, I have 428 ORB and there is no Guppy. 419 & 420 both flew out of Middleton St george so thought their a/c may have followed 428 into the raid or would be in close proximity.

I would assume and will be corrected if I am wrong but would not all a/c from the squadron stick together in formation to the target? after the target it may be a different story. Stragglers of course would drop back and mix with other squadron a/c etc.

Hope this clears that up.

Nick