Thread: Nav Service Record

Thanks

Default Nav Service Record

Hi all

I would be most grateful for any assistance in helping to decipher a navigators Service Record that I am assisting a friend with.

We have managed to interpret some postings etc however there is an entry of 1 EAOS, could this be Empire Air Observers School? I can find no record of this or its location! There is an entry of "South Africa" where he was for about 8 months I assume for training with what could be 15 AS, 45AS and 43AS during the time in South Africa.

Finally his last posting before discharge from 14 March 1944 was with 84 Grp Communication Sqn, could anyone please advise what sort of duties a Navigator would have undertaken please.

Many thanks

Thanks

Hi Royton

1 EAOS was No 1 Elementary Air Observer School at Eastbourne and provided a six week course between ITW and AOS training in basic navigation theory.

I assume his records only say South Africa because he went to a SAAF school, the indetity of which at the time was not known to the Record Office.

84 Group Comms Sqn was a large unit with a wide variety of types including many twin engined types such as Anson, Hudson, Oxford, Mosquito and Ventura, all of which probably required a navigator. They would have flown senior/staff officers between the UK and continent and between airfields in NW Europe as well as other comms related activities.

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 16th January 2011 at 13:10. Reason: extra info

Thanks

Malcolm

Many thanks for that, I now know the definition EAOS and it being based at eastbourne, many thanks! According to his record it appears he went to 45 Air School in South Africa which was a Nav Training School.

He went to 84 Grp Comms Sqdn between March & May 1944 ie prior D Day, any idea where it was based at this time please?

Thanks again

Thanks

It was moving around, 1 March it arrived at Cowley with the main element moving to Redhill on 1 April, a rear detachment was at Merston (7-12 May) before the whole sqn moved to Westhampnett on 12 May, where it stayed until August.

Source - RAFFTASU

Malcolm