Thread: British DFC awarded to U. S. pilot

Thanks

Default British DFC awarded to U. S. pilot

Maj Don M Beerbower, 353 FS, 354, FG, 9th AF was awarded the British DFC. According to the Carter book it was approved on 1-18-45. I want to know if it is possible to find a copy of the award giving a summary. So far, all that I have found is the approval date. What would be the proper way to search for this ? He was KIA on Aug 9th, 1944.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Thanks

I gather you have been looking for this in the London Gazette, but you will not find it there. American awards to British and Commonwealth personnel would be reported in the London Gazette, the same publication would not report British awards to American personnel (unless said Americans were enrolled in the RAF or RCAF, which I do not believe is the case here).

Documentation might still be found in the British Archives at Kew (since Carter could come up with an approval date). The following files would be worth consulting:

AIR 2/8948 - Recommendations for awards to American personnel. Includes 6 photographs depicting: USA Personel Being Decorated with British Decorations. Dated 1943. (covers correspondence, 1943-1948 )

AIR 2/8974 - Non-immediate awards: R.A.F. and American personnel (1943)

AIR 2/8988 - Non-immediate awards: American personnel 1943-1951

AIR 2/9006 - South East Asia Command: D.F.C. awards to R.A.F. Dominion and American airmen (correspondence from 1943-1944)

AIR 2/9009 - Non-immediate awards: R.A.F. and Allied (American) personnel (correspondence from 1944-1945).

AIR 2/9011 - Recommendations for balance of awards for American personnel (correspondence, 1944-1945)

AIR 2/9100 - British awards to American personnel (correspondence, 1944-1945)

You will have to get the help of a British contact to look at these (I am in Canada).

A British award to a USAAF person might also be recorded in some detail in American documents, such as Routine Orders of the Eighth Air Force, Ninth Air Force, etc.

Thanks

Default British DFC awarded to US pilot

Quote Originally Posted by HughAHalliday View Post

READ AND COMPLY WITH BOARD POLICY ON USE OF QUOTE.

ROSS

Thank you Mr Halliday. Your comments are most welcome.
    Ben
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 21st January 2011 at 07:12. Reason: To save even more space