Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Form 543A RAF Service Records- deciphering/ translating help please

Thanks

Default Form 543A RAF Service Records- deciphering/ translating help please

Hi all,
    i recently received my grandads 543A Service Record card and am having a problem or 2 with some of the entries.
    there are a few sections where, although the handwriting is aesthetically pleasing, i'm having difficulty making sense of what's written!!
    http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/chromeboy1884/002-2.jpg

^^^ the most problematic part is in the "special qualifications" section - my best guess (after help from persons more expert than i) is "attended handlings clear trans plastic" but this doesn't seem to make much sense to me! can anyone shed some light on this section?

in the section where it lists his postings, i'm reasonably sure of most of them but there are a few i'm less certain of- again, can anyone help where i'm lost, and confirm the ones which i'm guessing? vvvv

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/chromeboy1884/001-4.jpg

ITW - Initial Training Wing :- 4 & 21 , is that 2 different locations?
    "4 S of TT" - school of technical training? i see 2 entries for 4 S of TT, and then later "2 S of TT", twice again - is that 2 different locations also? what's the significance of 1 of them being pre-squadron and 1 post-squadron?
    "Bal Sch Scampton" - "something" school, Scampton?
    ACAC - i see this before each of the "2 S of TT" entries, but it isn't on the list of abbreviations i got with the records. also the first entry is "ACRC", again not on the list i received. "air crew......centre"? i thought the "ACRC" might be recruiting, and that the "ACAC" was maybe actually "ACHC" and that the H was for holding- as in before deployment/ posting.

thanks in advance for any help,

Kevin.

p.s. wasn't sure if just pasting the links was the best way to "post" the images, can ammend if necessary

Thanks

Hi Kevin, posting links with the pictures is fine but scans in bigger resolution will be more useful - this resolution is hardly readable.

ITW - Initial Training Wing :- 4 & 21 , is that 2 different locations?
    Yes, someone with the book or RAF units may give you the exact location as I am far from my archive.

"4 S of TT" - school of technical training? ....
    Yes - school of technical training. No it may be the same location of the same school, just between these postings there was some kind of course in the factory I suppose as there is mentioned A. V. Roe & Co. - se the link for more details:
    http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/company_avro.html

"Bal Sch Scampton" - "something" school, Scampton?
    I suppose it may be a Baloon School at Scampton if there was such a unit there.

No. 1 ACRC was located at Babbacombe and I have ACRC as Air Crew Receiving Centreor or Air Crew Reception Centre

for ACAC I have: Aircrew Allocation Centre-Brackla (1944)

I hope it helps your for a start

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello

It's "Battle School" at Scampton.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Kevin,

Please could you crop the section showing the entry about "plastic" and reload on to photobucket? thank you

Norman

Thanks

cheers guys.

@ Pavel & Norman - i've re-scanned it at 600dpi (the highest setting my scanner has) , hopefully it'll be a bit easier to make out, and also taken a photograph of that area, hope it helps.
    http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/chromeboy1884/001-5.jpg
    http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/chromeboy1884/DSCN0844.jpg

Kevin
    Last edited by chromeboy; 18th January 2011 at 19:57. Reason: there had been a reply while i was re-scanning/ uploading

Thanks

The RAF did have a specific training course to teach groundcrew how to maintain the clarity of perspex/plastic cockpit canopies especially on fighters. There are illustrations in AP2656A that are intended to show the problems that could arise for pilots when trying to search the horizon through a scratched canopy.

Steve

Thanks

@ Steve - my grandad was a flight engineer aboard a Lanc, i don't know if that either increases or decreases the possibility of that being the case?

cheers,
    Kevin

Thanks

Hello Kevin,

My first reaction to the "plastic" entry in the special qualifications section was (Attd - attended) - The handling of clear and transparent plastic - course' and may have indicated a resettlement course at a manufacturers prior to civi street? then I thought more likely a service requirement course as I'm not sure if resettlement courses existed in 1946.

What date did your grandfather cease flying? (log book)
    What was his last day service?

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 18th January 2011 at 20:35. Reason: sp

Thanks

Hi Norman,
    the last "op" entry in his logbook is 10/2/1945 as a staff engineer on an exercise flight at 1661 HCU.

at the back in the "units at which served" section it shows he left there 26/2/45 to got to ACAC Catterick, there from 26/2 - 8/3/45 :- next line is "leave 8/3/45"

the only other info is shown in the "postings" photo in my first post on this thread- ACAC > S of TT > OTU etc

hope this helps a wee bit,

Kevin

Thanks

Thanks Kevin, then that 'plastic entry must be for 1944 not 1946 as I first thought. It certainly is a hard style of writing to understand.

Norman