Thread: Identity of RCAF Group Captain with Eye Patch

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Identity of RCAF Group Captain with Eye Patch

Posting on behalf of a friend who has been asked the following:

I've been asked for assistance in getting info about a Canadian crew that crashed in Germany after the war (Nov 4th, 1945) while on the way to deliver penicillin to Poland.

Attached are three photos which were taken at a dedication ceremony late in 1945 or maybe early in 1946 somewhere in Poland. I'm hoping to find someone who will recognize the RCAF G/C wearing the black eye patch. Couldn't have been many one-eyed Group Captains! Is possible eye injury was temporary.

The person seeking the information is a relative of S/L Webster, DFC, who was the navigator and who is named on the plaque. I asked the person if he knew in what type aircraft they crashed and what squadron. He sent the following: No. 168 (HT) Squadron flew Canadian Red Cross medical supplies from Rockcliffe Airport to Poland. One Boeing Fortress crashed at Munster, Germany, during the operation, killing the five crew members.

Also don't know the date of the memorial (dedication) ceremony which is said to have been held in Warsaw. I have his DFC citation awarded on 02 Mar 43 when he was an F/L on RAF 35 Sqn.

Can anyone help?

Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Sorry can't see any photographs.

Gp Capt Charles Brown, known as Cyclops for obvious reasons, was an RAF officer who wore an eye patch. Do the photos clearly show the gp capt wearing 'Canada' shoulder flashes or is his RCAF pedigree an assumption?

Old Duffer

Thanks

The aircraft was B-17 9202, of 168 (HT) Squadron. I have copies of the photos as well, but can't ID any of the RCAF, Canadian Army or Polish and French(?) Army people at the ceremony.

Thanks

Old Duffer:
    Thanks. Photos emailed.
    Robert

Thanks

Colin Cummings (Old Duffer) advises that the G/C with the eye patch is not 'Cyclops' Brown - he wore a patch over his right eye.
    Robert

Thanks

Thanks to Hugh's contribution on a later thread, it now appears that the photos referred to were taken at a second wreath laying ceremony on 04 Nov 55. The shoulder flash does indeed say Canada.
    Does this help....?
    Robert

Thanks

Robert,
    I've a photo of the Fortress 9202 before it crashed. If you're interested please let me know at h.weltingATupcmailDOTnl (replace AT and DOT by the obvious).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Robert,

I think that your Group Captain with the eye patch may possibly have been G/C D.H. MacCaul who wore a patch over his left eye, or at least he did when photographed in June 1952.
    The photo of MacCaul appears in the book THE HISTORY OF 6RD AND THE AEROSPACE MAINTENANCE DEVELOPMENT UNIT (Karkut, 1990). He was CO there from June 1951 until August 1955, when he went to Warsaw as Canada's first Air Attache to Poland.

Ian Macdonald

(Scanner broken, I can't send you a copy of the picture).

Thanks

Thanks, Ian.

Photos received by email. Sure looks like G/C D.H. McCaul / MacCaul.

Can anyone confirm the correct spelling?

Cheers:

Robert.
    Last edited by robstitt; 19th February 2011 at 00:23.