Thread: George Cole

Thanks

Default George Cole

hello,

I've been scratching my head on this one for a few days now, without finding anything conclusive. A French researcher is looking for details about the evasion of George Cole, probably in 1944, in Belgium, where he was hidden in a monastery.

He was later killed in action, with the rank of Flight Sergeant, wireless operator in Short Stirling Mk IV LK149 of No. 138 (SD) Squadron, off Denmark, on 23rd February 1945. I have all the details from the corresponding BCL volume.

I've scanned the indexes of all volumes of BCL, 2nd TAF, and my various lists and digital pictures of WO 208 (evasion reports) indexes from Kew, without finding him, either with No. 138 or another Squadron.

Can somebody help us to find any clues about him ?

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Default mention of this evasion in the Times

hello,

My friend told me that her source about the evasion of George Cole/Coles in the Belgian monastery was an article in the Times, and that the event occured in 1944. This airman was apparently recovered by French WW1 ace René Fonck.

Can somone with access with the Times online (I can't from France) check this ?

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

I found and could read the story here: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,852240,00.html?promoid=googlep

Or just google "George Cole René Fonck" and you'll get a hit with that result.

Greetings,

Leendert

Thanks

hello Leendert,

thanks for the link, but I was thinking of the Times archives, an article which must have been published in 1944 or 1945. I'm trying to find more details to see if I can locate either an evasion report or a liberation report in the WO 208 series in Kew.

Joss

Thanks

Joss, you might be able to access the Times archive through the family history website "Ancestry". But it may be neccessary to subscribe to that website. There is a Times website but this is not generally accessable to the public, it is only accessable by such organisations as county record offices.

Thanks

Joss,

Putting the "Time" or "Times" issue aside, it may nevertheless be interesting to read the Time article after all.
    It says here that Fonck drove Cole back to his base....
    If so, then Cole had most likely landed in a part of Belgium already held by the Allies, so an evasion wouldn't have been necessary. Also, if his base was on the Continent, then a 2 TAF airfield comes to mind.

Leendert