Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BC loss cards - what's on them?

Thanks

Default BC loss cards - what's on them?

I have read on the RAF Museum site that these cards have information beyond the a/c serial, crew list and info one would find in Chorley. Can someone tell me what else they have on them? The notation I saw suggested bomb load, route and possibly comments by survivors.

Are they free and is there a limit to the number you can request?
    David

Thanks

Hi David,

I can tell you my experience with the FAC and Aircraft Movement card - the order is limited, usually to 30-40 copies at once and you have to pay for copies + postage, usually my order is around 20-25 GBP.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi,
    When i've used DORA in the past to request individual copies, i've offered, but never had to paid a fee, i use the online request form by saying, "would it be possible to have a copy of !!!!!!! if available please, could you let me know the cost of copying" several weeks later, i get what i've asked for, through the post, with no charge.

Thanks

Hello,

I confirm that it's usually free when you're asking for a single document (or a form 78 and the corresponding "loss card" if the plane belonged to Bomber Command or form 1180).

I've never purchased by correspondence / online, but I've done so by visiting the department of research myself, and I paid the photostat copies. No limit in number though, because I was doing the printing/copying by myself, from the microfiche/microfilm reader-printer.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Pavel, Joss, Alan,

I just received a reply from DoRIS too and they are quoting me a charge of 0.20 per copy, nominal to be sure.

But will it be worth the bother if I already have the info from Mr. Chorley? Is there much else on the card that I wouldn't already know?
    David

Thanks

Hello,

There are a few details which are not told in Chorley, and it depends on your interest in these losses. Is it a general one, or you need to have a deeper knowledge ?

For example, the bomb load (not sure 100% loss cards were filled in with this information), equipment carried on board (Gee, H2S, Monica, Fishpond), planned route (quite often for multiple losses the same night on the same target, only one loss card is completely filled in, and the others only mention "see xxxxxx". Otherwise the general details are roughly the ones quoted by Bil Chorley.

The cards for the first part of the war are far less detailed.

Last point, the form are handwritten and sometimes very hard to decipher.

Joss

Thanks

Is the bomber loss card the same as form 1180?

Dave

Thanks

No, that one I have ordered before. It is the card filled out for the loss of an aircraft through accident.

From the RAF Museum:

"Air Ministry Form 1180 was designed to record details of aircraft accidents so that the causes could be analysed and the resulting data used in accident prevention. The original cards - mainly dating from 1929 onwards, although a few have survived from 1919 - are held by the Air Historical Branch, and the RAF Museum has microfilm copies.

To trace a specific accident it is essential to know the date and the aircraft type - there are no indexes for location, unit or crew names."

And thanks Joss. I am interested in everything that's available, so I think I will get my list together and start ordering them.
    David

Thanks

Dave_Richardson: Generally AM Form 1180 (Flying accident Card) are covering only crashes on own territory and not caused by enemy action.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Pavel and David. I know I'm being incredably thick here but it it possible that an aircraft would have both a bomber loss card and a form 1180. I ask because I've got the form 1180 for my uncle's stirling that crashed in Devon but should I be also asking for a copy of the bomber looss card?

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_Richardson; 20th January 2011 at 15:34. Reason: typo