Thread: W/O Henry William Fletcher VR963529

Thanks

Default W/O Henry William Fletcher VR963529

Hello Friends,
    I am seeking information on W/O Henry William Fletcher VR963529 who DOAS at Charterhall on 2-6-44 age 27.
    I believe he was ferrying Beaufighter T3092 into 54 OTU when it collided with 2 other stationary Beaufighters and was killed. He possibly was delivering this for 4 Del Flt.
    The puzzle is his parents lived in Huntingdon, Ontario but CWGC lists him as British. Can our experts list a birthplace for him in 1917 please.
    His Service #963529 must have him enlisted at Cardington in April, 1940.
    He was with 65 sqn in Dec, 1942 on Spitfires.
    Who did he fly with in 1941 and how long was he with 65 sqn in 1943 please.
    Thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

If you read the CWGC datbase explanation they do explain that the nationality field is the nationality of the force not the person, so he may be Canadian in the RAF, the RAF is British.

You have said he is listed as DOAS? Died on Active Service? This normally donates a man who dies of natural causes or personel accident, not a death in an aircraft crash.

I presume he is actually listed as Killed on Active Service, Flight magazine SEPTEMBER 21ST, 1944
    RAF Casualty Communique 424.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1944/1944%20-%201978.html

He is the only Fletcher, H W for WW2 in the air force what comes up on CWGC.

There is no record of him in Ontario overseas deaths on ancestry.com which makes me think he was married to a Canadian or she happened to be living in Canada at the time that the CWGC records were completed.

I would not interpret the next of kin data to necessarily mean that both his wife and parents liveed in Ontario. The parents location just might not be given.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Roy,
    There's a Henry William Fletcher born in the quarter of July-Sept 1916, in Doncaster, mothers maiden name Hutchens. Sometimes the maths do not give the right answer, he may have been a month away from his 28th birthday when killed, which could have put him as born 1916, could'nt find a Henry Willam fletcher in 1917. There's always the chance that his parents emigrated to Canada.

Thanks

I found him on a partial fmaily tree on ancestry.com, not many of the dots joined up but parents listed as Edith Hutchings and John Stirland (not Sterling) Fletcher.

He had many siblings and the few I checked all seem to have died in England so there does not seem to be a Canadian connection except for his wife.

His death appears to be registered in Scotland, Fogo district of Berwick aged 28. scotlandspeople.gov.uk
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default W/O Henry William Fletcher

Hi gents,
    Many thanks Alan and Dennis for this information, you are priceless.
    You have given me several leads.
    Thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

I have Fletcher in T3153 and collided with T3092 & R2401. I think it came from a book on Charterhall.

Thanks

Default W/O Henry William Fletcher

Hi John,
    Thanks for Fletcher in Beaufighter T3153, hitting T3092 & R6241 at 54 OTU at Charterhall.
    I will ask for the crash card to sort this out.
    I am assuming that W/O Fletcher was with 4 Delivery Flight as his Death Certificate was registered in Fogo, Berwickshire and that 4 Del Flt was based at Grangemouth, Scotland.
    Thanks gents,
    Roy