Thread: RAF squadrons with French roundel

Thanks

Default RAF squadrons with French roundel

Hello!
    In one of the books concerning RAF Strategic Air Offensive I have found a photo of a Halifax from French 347 Sqn.
    I was very amazed to see that it apparently had French roundel on its fuselage and similarily inverted fin-flash on it tail!
    Was it typical for the French squadron crews to paint inverted RAF colours instead the correct ones on their aircrafts?
    Was it also officially approved by RAF authorities?

TIA,
    Gregory

Thanks

Gregory,
    No 346 (French) Squadron aircraft also carried French markings, along with their unit markings on the tail fins. Since they were French manned squadrons, I imagine they considered French markings to be the "correct" ones for their aircraft. I suspect British officialdom was of the same mind.
    Bill.

Thanks

Initially the units (both based at RAF Elvington now the Yorkshire Air Museum - with a Halifax) flew with RAF roundels - I'm not sure of the date of the changeover, but probably fairly late in 1944 after the establishment of a French Air Force on home soil. The "French" fuselage roundels and finflash were in the late-war RAF style known as C type, with narrow white and yellow rings, photographs seem to show that RAF roundels were retained above the wing. After the war the units changed to the more traditional French roundel in all positions.

The same changes can be seen on FAF/RAF Bostons, Mitchells and Spitfires, although the last seems generally to have gone straight to the traditional French roundel style.