Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Officer HRH Prince Suprabhat Chirasakti

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default 2nd Officer HRH Prince Suprabhat Chirasakti

I'm looking for further information on this chap who was killed at Ewes, Langholm, Dumfriesshire on 12th September 1942.

I'm interested in any details of his service and photos where possible.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Jim, quite a few hits on google, but i've also checked the Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificates and have the following:
    Born 4th September 1918 in Bangkok, Siam.
    Nationality - Siamese
    Profession - Student
    Certificate taken on - Avro Club Cadet, Genet Major, 140 hp
    At - Air Work School of Flying, Heston
    Date - 10th June 1936
    His address at the time was - Glenn Pammant, Virginia Water, Surrey

Unfortunately there is no photo with the card.

Also found this interesting article from Time magazine:

Killed in Service. Prince Chirasakti, 25, adopted son of the late Prajadhipok, ex-King of Siam; on duty with the R.A.F. air transport auxiliary. A cousin of the present King Ananda Mahidol of Thailand, he was married in London to Mani Rajah Noeprabandou, daughter of a onetime Siamese Minister at London. Much publicized in 1939 was the elaborate exorcism of devils from his five-week-old son, in rural England. A champagne party followed long wordless rites that included an anointing, attaching of cords to the baby's body, and removal of a lock of hair, which was wrapped in a lotus leaf and set adrift on the River Bourne.

Also found this pre-war photo of him:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1936/1936%20-%202262.html

Hope they're of interest,

Tom

Thanks

His photo is on the back of the RAC card, hit the forward button!, Its only small and upside down.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Jim,

Not exactly his service details but this from The Times, dated 17 Sept 1942, possibly of interest:

"The funeral of Prince Chirasakti of Siam, who was accidentally killed while on duty as a ferry pilot, took place yesterday at Golders Green Crematorium. Buddhist rites were observed. A Buddhist priest conducted the service, part of which was translated into English. Members of the Royal Air Force and colleagues of the Prince from the Air Transport Auxiliary formed a guard of honour. Relatives of the Prince and others present included:

The ex-Queen of Siam, Prince Abbhas, Prince Birabongse, Mme Nuprabandh, Captain and Mrs J B Wyndham.

The Earl of Derby, Captain H J Stocks (representing the RAF) and Flit Lt J Gallatly (representing the ATA)."

This might be a photo of him as a child at http://teakdoor.com/famous-threads/39970-siam-thailand-bangkok-old-photo-thread-56.html - scroll down to post 1112.

Brief pre-war reference here as well http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1936/1936%20-%202261.html

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 21st January 2011 at 15:37.

Thanks

Subject to confirmation, I have him as being the pilot of:

Sea Hurricane IIc [JS346] which flew into hill in poor visibility during ferry flight on this date

dg

Thanks

Prince Supeabat Chirosakti was killed when Sea Hurricane JS346 crashed at Eweslees Farm, near Langholm whilst flying from Kirbride to Arbroath, he is buried at Goldersgreen Cemetery crematorium.

Regards,
    Alan

Thanks

Thank you all for your posts. Suprabhat Chirasakti was indeed the pilot of the Sea Hurricane mentioned.

I'm now looking to locate the precise crash site to photograph for a proposed book on aircraft crashes in the Border Hills.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

'Prince Supeabat Chirosakti was killed when Sea Hurricane JS346 crashed at Eweslees Farm, near Langholm whilst flying from Kirbride to Arbroath, he is buried at Goldersgreen Cemetery crematorium.'

As noted, Golders Green is a crematorium, thus he was cremated as opposed to buried (although there is a very large cemetery on the opposite side of the road).

There is an area to one side which records those cremated at golders Green having been killed on war service, including a number of ATA crew. I am sure somewhere I have a photo of the Princes' name on it if its of any use?

Thanks

Thanks Airman1,

A cooy of that photo would be great, if you don't mind it appearing in a book, with credit of course.

If you send me a PM I'll let you have my email address.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Default Was he the only Thai to fly Spitfires in Britain? If not, who am I confusing him wit

Was this gentleman the only Thai to (presumably) fly Spitfires in Britain?

I recall that, in the 70th anniversary exhibition in the Science Museum in London, there was a photograph of a Thai (also connected to the Royal family) to show the multi-national nature of RAF Spitfire pilots.

However, I believe he was RAF rather than ATA. Was there a second Thai or is this the person?