Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: edward jenkins in ww2

Thanks

Default edward jenkins in ww2

hello all,
    my first post here, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
    i am trying to find out further info on my mothers cousin. : edward jenkins,
    what i have been told so far is:
    1312370 Edward John Jenkins (185548) became Acting Pilot Officer on 10 Nov 44 then full pilot officer on 1 May 45. He was then awarded a DFC on 166 Sqn on 21 Sep 1945.
    i was told he was in 166 sqadron which flew lancasters, ( this ties in with family stories) does anyone know if it is possible to find out any more about his service life,( any ops he flew, etc) and if so, where i can find it out from?
    thaks in adance
    stephen7

Thanks

Default Edward Jenkins

Hello Stephen

I had a look inthe book "On the wings of war" history of 166 squadron.
    I only see the following entries :

F/Sgt Jenkins flew as "2 dickies" on 4 dec 1944 ops Karlruhe, it may means that he was posted to 166 sqn a few days or weeks before.
    F/O Jenkins flew on 9 April 1945 ops Keil with a 2 "dickies" on board

The book mainly mentions missing crews.

He is not on the nominal rolls for 4 may 1945
    He is not listed in the 166 squadron awards

Hope it is from some help
    Best regards
    René

Thanks

Hi Stephen,
    I'll have a look in my copy of the 166sqdn Operations Record Book later today, and get back to you.
    Alan.

Just had a quick look before i go to work, and can confirm what Rene has said about the 2 dicky trip on 04/12/44 with F/O C.W. Mosley, this is a bit surprising, as according to the postings list, he was only posted in with his crew the day before, so there's either a mistake, or he was very keen. He flew his first trip with his own crew (listed below) on 12/12/44, to Essen. Will carry on searching either tonight or tomorrow morning, and will get back to you.

Sgt S. Appleby, F/Eng.
    Sgt D.S. Struthers, A/B.
    Sgt R.J. Khoo, Nav.
    Sgt R. Bradley, Wop/Ag.
    Sgt G. Stell, Mu/Gnr.
    Sgt E.J. Hammond, R/Gnr.
    Last edited by AlanW; 21st January 2011 at 12:45.

Thanks

alan and rene,
    thank you both for that info, though, as an army man, i am a little perplexed as to what 2 dickies are
    steve

Thanks

another quick question,
    would 166 sqn have been his first and, due to the lateness of the time scale, his only posting?

Thanks

Hello,

It's RAF slang. When a "rookie" crew was posted to a Squadron, it was quite usual to have the pilot doing one, sometimes two ops, as a second pilot, with an experienced crew, in order to learn the ropes (in addition to all the training he had received before). so a 2nd pilot in a Lancaster or Halifax was called "2nd Dickey".

As for postings, it's very likely. There are several ways to check that : his record of service, his log-book, the Squadron ORB (AlanW will have a look at it). The latter is public domain. For the record of service, you have to be the next-of-kin.

Joss

Thanks

thanks for that joss,
    as i said, i'm an army man, sp completely knew to raf slang, but it makes sense. hopefully alanw will come up with something re hi postings etc. unfortunately i am not his immediate NOK so his service record will have to remain a myatery
    steve

Thanks

Hi Stephen,
    Unlike most ORB's, which state where crews were posted from, the 166sqdn ORB, only gives the date of posting in, nothing to say where from.
    At the moment, including his 2nd dickey trip, between him being posting in and 18/03/45, i've found 24 ops for him and his crew, they seem to have started off doing few and far between ops, but from the start of Feb 45 they start tallying up ops fast. Will be in touch when i'm finished.
    As Joss has already said, the only way of finding out where he was before 166 will be to get hold of his service record. I'm still a bit bemused at the quickness of his 2nd dickey trip, he would have normally been allowed a few days to settle in before this happened.
    Cheers Alan.

Thanks

Default Edward Jenkins

Hello Stephen,

Following informations are from the London Gazette

Promoted to Pilot Officer 26/09/1944
    Pilot Officer confirmed in appointment and to be Flying Officer (war subs) 26/03/1945

DFC received (no citation) on 21/09/1945 when with 166sqn

Retaining his rank Flying Officer 14/06/1978

Best regards

René

Thanks

I'm still a bit bemused at the quickness of his 2nd dickey trip, he would have normally been allowed a few days to settle in before this happened.
    Cheers Alan.
    would this have been because of a shortage in the sqn at the time, thrown in at the deep end as a matter of urgency?
    thanks for that info rene, it confirms what i had been told, though why he would have retained his rank in 1978, ( he would have been 58 then) confuses me.