Thread: Relatives of airmen seeing a thread -the wonders of the internet ?

Thanks

Default Relatives of airmen seeing a thread -the wonders of the internet ?

Something that always surprises me .Someone will post asking about a particular airman or crew and "out of the blue ", amongst the replies, there will be a reply from a relative of that airman or of someone listed in the crew .

Often it's a new member .Are they just searching the internet at the same time as the thread and Google points them to the rafcommands post ???

Anne

Thanks

It could well be Google, Anne. I use Google quite a bit, and I am regularly given links to this forum, and to my own websites. I also get a lot e-mails from people looking for information on relatives, who say they found my web site through Google. (I usually direct them here.)

Thanks

Hi Anne,

It's definitely search-engine traffic - and it works both ways too. I have found several other forums with mentions of my subjects in Google searches and joined them to contact their resident experts.

Another similar occurrence that I always enjoy - people finding me on ancestry.ca after I posted family trees for the men I am researching. I've had several family members contact me out of the blue this way.

What a wonderful age this is. I can't imagine having to do all this stuff the old-fashioned way (although I have visited my share of archives and records offices too).
    David

Thanks

Bill & David
    Yes the internet has made contacts around the world rewarding and quick and aided research .

I still find it amazing that someone new to the forum , picks up a thread about their WW2 relative, while the thread is being discussed.

Anne

Thanks

I have had some cause to look into search-engine science in my work here at the University. Large sites, like this one, rank highly in the algorithmic filters they use to search the web and posts can show up very quickly. Stuff I post for the university shows up on Google almost immediately.
    David

Thanks

Anne
    I guess they are new to the forum exactly because a search on the relative's name gives results on forum.

I have created the website www.danishww2pilots.dk on Danish air force personnel. Let me just say that this is not the top ranking Danish website in most Google searches. But if you use the full name of a man or woman on the site and add for instance "pilot" and "ww2" it'll rank rather high.

I have found that relatives from time to time - and often around Christmas or other holidays - search the internet for their next-of-kin. Searching for a Danish serviceman eventually people will stumble upon my website, and some eventually contact me. This is the very reason that I have so far chosen a website for the publication of my research.

I intended this as a comment rather than an answer to your initial post.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel
    Perhaps the relatives are often searching & they hit upon their search name in a search engine which gives them a thread on rafcommands forum or another.It just surprises me how often it happens here and isn't it great that it does !

Again I'm often surprised when people find & contact me via my website "missing in action" if they are looking for information re certain sqdns. in Italy .I expect, search engines such as Google, pick up or scan websites & sort & grade the info. into sections ??

Anne

Thanks

Anne
    The answer to your question is yes. I am not an expert and, hence, not able to explain, but see for instance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine#How_web_search_engines_work

and then I need to mention that I share your fascination and joy of the contacts made. I once had the experience, that I logged on to the forum to post a question regarding a Danish airman only to find that another person had posted a question regarding the exact same man. That was fascinating!

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel
    I've printed it off to read & try to understand.

Thanks for all responses .
    Anne