Thread: RCAF, OTU No. 61 Crash 18/11/1944 John Robert Dunne

Thanks

Default RCAF, OTU No. 61 Crash 18/11/1944 John Robert Dunne

I'm the grandson of John Robert Dunne RCAF F/O J41844 that I believe was killed in Spitfire AA933 on 18/11/1944 while part of Operational Training Unit No. 61 which dived into the ground at Wynnstay Park, just South of Ruabon, Denbighshire.

I have found some help from Alan Clark in this forum (thanks Alan) who was able to provide me with some of these datails. I was hoping some one here may have any additional information of his service and the crash itself.

Best regards to all.

Rick

Thanks

I believe the crash site is within this grid square where the river winds through the wooded area.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=307264

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I believe the crash site is within this grid square where the river winds through the wooded area.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=307264
    Thanks Dave, that about where I'm hearing from Alan as well "At Wynnstay Park, just South of Ruabon, Denbighshire. The crash site was adjacent to Afon Eitha at the base of a fairly deep ravine.

Would be great to know what the circumstances were around why the plane went down. If anyone has any knowledge or insight, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rick,

Your best option is to apply for his RCAF service records by going to the following link and following instructions. Stress that you wish a copy of the casualty report and anything pertaining to his crash, including any accident report. If you do not make that distinction you may end up with a biography of him before he joined the RCAF and dates he enlisted and where he was based.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=10055&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=qe5oo3l rj1mmvenqn2p46qd8k2 (you will have to copy and paste this link into your browser)

Click on "How to consult a file or order a copy". As he was killed during the war there is no requirement to prove he has been dead 20 years.

Despite the many success stories with obtaining information from RCAF files you must keep in mind that not all files will contain the casualty portion. Files have disappeared over 65 years and you might end up with only his attestation papers. In some cases you end up with nothing, the dreaded crap shoot.

There is also a 6-8 month wait due to backlogs but they will provide you with 25 pages free of charge. If that is too long to wait there are paid researchers in Ottawa you can use. As I only go to Ottawa once a year a member of this forum recommended an excellent one to me who knows what to look for and works quickly. His fees are more than reasonable. PM me if you want his contact details.

Should you happen to live in the Ottawa area you can arrange for a client card and request the file and view it in person at the LAC. That information is on the same link I have provided.

Best of luck with your research.

Dave

Thanks

Default Library & Archives Canada

Thanks Dave,

I have actually already submitted a request to Ottawa to obtain the full file from them. They say that there are two request types. The first would be a genealogy package which is free and had 7 months processing times. I think this may be the type of request that may be limited in terms of size and detail. The second type is for the full file whereas their disclaimers state that there is a cost of 40cents / page, most file contain over 400 pages and there is no way to establish the size of a file before purchasing.

I ordered the complete file, they say the processing times are about 3 weeks and will send me a PDF reproduction of all they have. I will heed your warning as well however and email them today reminding them that I do want ALL detail, specifically the casualty report and anything pertaining to his crash, including any accident report.

I appreciate your interest and thanks for helping.