Thread: Wilhelmshaven and Brunsbuttel 4 Sept 1939

Thanks

Default Wilhelmshaven and Brunsbuttel 4 Sept 1939

I'd appreciate some help in fleshing out of the details of the first 'successful' (some aircraft found their target) of WW2 on 4 September 1939. From my sketchy sources 107, 110 and 139 Squadrons each provided five Blenheims to attack ships in Wilhelmshaven harbour. Five failed to return and no significant damage was caused. The 107 and 110 aircraft found the target but did the 139 Sqn aircraft?

On the same day six 9 Squadron and eight 149 Squadron Wellingtons were tasked to attack Brunsbuttel; only four found 'suitable' targets and one of these bombed Esberg in Denmark ("Bomber Command 1936-1968").

1. What height did the aircraft fly at across the North Sea?
    2. Did they fly a direct track from their bases.
    3. At what time(s) were the attacks made?
    4. Why were the Wellingtons apparently unsuccessful in identifying their target - navigation/weather? (So far as I can gather from Danish weather observations at 1800 GMT the cloud was less than 7/10 and the base was of the order of 3-4000 ft; visibility was very good - but that doesn't mean the same conditions prevailed over the targets).

I guess the answers to most of the questions are in the respective ORBs, but I'd be grateful for any help.

Brian

Thanks

Think I've sorted this out from other sources - but one further question. Does anyone have a record of the S/Ns of the 149 Squadron Wellingtons used on this raid please?

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

Am just sending you an email.

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Amrit

Very many thanks for the scans from "The Battle of Heligoland Bight" by Robin Holmes. Absolutely brilliant and contains everything I needed. A fascinating story.

Brian