Thread: help with document selection

Thanks

Default help with document selection

Could any of the more enlightened forum members help with me determining if any of these documents would help me in my research. Which if any, would hold information that may relate to a specific aircraft? or would they just be general raid statistics? A friend is willing to return to the N/A to look at any of these that may help me.

AIR14/3766 Hannover July 43 - Apr 45 Interpretation Reports

AIR28/541 & AIR28/544Middleton SG ORBs & MSG Appendices(The normal appendices were not included at thge end of the AIR27/1849ORB microfiche, for June - Dec 43 unlike for other squadrons, or someother dates)

AIR24/259 Intelligence reports

AIR25/129 RCAF 6 group ORBs

AIR25/136 RCAF July- Sept 43 Appendices

regards

Nick

Thanks

Nick

Are you looking for a specific aircraft or a specific crew?
    Any POWs or evaders in the crew?

Individuals or crews are sometimes mentioned in AIR28 documents.
    They are also useful for day to day activities on the airfield which can help to paint a bigger picture.
    I would guess that AIR14/3766 includes reports by the Operations Research Section of BC, possibly put together after photo reconnaisance flights. I have seen and copied an interpretation report for Schweinfurt.

AIR24/259 - if this is similar to the files that I have looked at in AIR24, it will contain a mass of interesting articles, correspondence and reports of various kinds; armaments, tactics, methods, procurement, enemy interpretation etc. They also contain copies of K reports that were filed when evaders were debriefed about the loss of their aircraft.
    Other than the K reports though, I think it's unlikely there will be much on individual aircraft/aircrew.

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Many thanks for the reply Mike.

I have been told by one of the crews family that there may be a report/s by other crews on the raid that could possibily help in my research. I am looking at a single a/c LK635 from 428 Sqn but no evaders all were killed on the Hanover raid of 22 sept 1943.
    have posted on here and other sites for help and have had some great responses but it is the documents that are evading me to help locate a crashsite as she was lost without trace.

many thanks again for your input.

regards

Nick

Thanks

Sometime Appendices have extra things like photos and such like

Thanks

Nick

Where I have been unable to find crash sites from publicly available sources (e.g. TNA, RAFM, Chorley etc.) I have written to the Air Historical Branch to request that they consult the MREU files. I've asked for no more information from the files than the crash site and time of crash and have had a satisfactory response, though I did need to limit the number of losses that I requested.

However, as you have stated and is recorded by Chorley, the aircraft was lost without trace and the crew were not identified, so presumably any MREU files would not be conclusive.

With three Canadians in the crew it may still be worth requesting the files from the Canadian Archives - LAC in Ottawa I believe.

Mike

Thanks

Some very useful information about TNA documents from RodM et al in this thread;

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?39-Bomber-Command-Night-Reports.&highlight=summaries

Mike

Thanks

Default Lk-645

I have copies of 2 of the Canadian crew members files. There is not much there except the possibly of the aircraft going down at Schafkoven, which is a suburb of Delmenhorst. No known graves for these aircrew exist.
    Richard

Thanks

Thanks to you all for the pointers.

Motherbird: it looks like the appendices need to be checked and I think if anything that came to light later would be in there so thats one more file I know to have checked.

Mike: thanks again for your knowledge, again I suppose to be realistic most if not all files that seem interesting should be looked at but as many will know time is of essence at the N/A. I read RodM thread and will see if any of the files mentioned could help. As for the AHB I have, or should I say they have not been very forthcoming with any details when asked for help, neither have the CWGC who were decidedly unhelpful.

Richard: the Schafkoven link is known, from a previous thread. It was later linked to a 77 Sqn a/c if memory serves me right. I have sent a pm.

many thanks

Nick