Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/Lt JL Sloper DFC & Bar + Flt/Lt K Munro DFC & Bar

Thanks

Default F/Lt JL Sloper DFC & Bar + Flt/Lt K Munro DFC & Bar

Again I'm researching into two pilots who are buried at Haycombe, Bath.

I have obtained information on RAF Lancaster Pilot F/Lt JL Sloper DFC & Bar, apart from his crash that is, he was serving at the time with Pathfinder NTO (Warboys?) he had completed a tour with 101 and 156 squadrons. The crash date is listed as 10th April 1944.

The second pilot is Australian F/Lt Kenneth Munro DFC & Bar, I don't have much information on this guy, does anyone have any?

Thanks

Hi Glenn,

I can only see one F/L Kenneth Munro DFC & Bar on the AWM web site and he is listed as killed in an accident in an Oxford X6858 on the 1/7/43. He was born in Auckland NZ and enlisted in the RAAF on 31/1/41 and his service number is 408168 and he was killed with 10 OTU. His parents lived in Hobart Tasmania.

Hi file has not been put on line at the NAA so it may be worth your while to have it done.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Both of Munro's DFCs are for service with 10 Sqn, looks like there should be a citation for the first one, LG Pg 5458 of 1942.

Thanks

Default What I have.

MUNRO, Kenneth, A/F/L, DFC (Aus 408168, Royal Australian Air Force) - No.10 Squadron - Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 11 June 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/8955 has citation drafted when he had flown 29 sorties (185 operational hours).

"Since being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in November 1942, this officer has completed a further 21 operational sorties. At all times he has displayed unswerving determination to complete his tasks regardless alike of adverse weather or enemy opposition. On one occasion his aircraft was attacked simultaneously by a Focke Wulf 190 and a Messerschmitt 110. The Messerschmitt 110 was shot down and by skilful evasive action the attack of the Focke Wulf 190 was frustrated. Throughout his operational career Flight Lieutenant Munro has shown courage and devotion to duty of the highest order."

SLOPER, John Lambert, P/O (147214, RAFVR*) - No.156 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 19 October 1943. Born 1922 in Bournemouth. Educated at Hailey (?) School, Bournemoth, and Municipal College. Served in the ranks; commissioned 1943. Citation from Air Ministry Bulletin 11721.

"By his determination and courage, Pilot Officer Sloper has been responsible for many successful bombing raids. He has consistently displayed great efficiency and has pressed home his attacks in spite of strong enemy fighter and anti-aircraft opposition. This officer is a skilful and resolute captain of aircraft and has set an excellent example to the rest of the squadron."

SLOPER, John Lambert, A/F/L, DFC (147214, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve) - No.156 Squadron - Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 21 April 1944. Following text from Flight, 22 June 1944 and Air Ministry Bulletin 13588.

"On every occasion Flight Lieutenant Sloper has proved himself to be an efficient and capable captain of aircraft. His unfailing enthusiasm for operational flying and his willingness to help and advise new members of aircraft crew have made him a valuable asset to his squadron."

Thanks

Both DFC's have a citation, they are in the LG 15/12/1942 p5458 and LG 11/6/43 p 2678. I have Michael Maton's excellent books on the decorations to Australians and I will be happy to send Muro's citations if you cant get them elsewhere.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Apologies,

I meant to say that only the citation for one of them was published in the LG.

Thanks

Hello,

Munro was born in Auckland, New Zealand, hence is covered in Errol Martyn's, FYT3/361 & 530. In the meantime, take a look at these:

http://www.awm.gov.au/catalogue/research_centre/pdf/rc09125z022_1.pdf

(p.134 of 591)

and...

http://www.awm.gov.au/catalogue/research_centre/pdf/rc09125z023_1.pdf

(p.23 of 495)

J/8207 F/Lt William Wilson COLLEDGE DFC RCAF, is also covered in Hugh's awards files (I don't have a current link). See also: Bloody Biscay/Goss (1st ed.) p.207 - 4 February, 1943.

Munro has three (3) files at the NAA; an A705, A9300 and an AWM65. None of which are currently digitised.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th January 2011 at 00:58.

Thanks

Default F/l jl sloper dfc & bar

I have visited the site of this incident , which is just outside the villiage of LLanwrtyd wells nr the road to to LLangammarch wells , in Breconshire ,JB 471 Crashed at 5pm on the 10th APRIL 1944 ,it would seem that the pilot lost control possibly after entering CUMULONIMBUS Cloud , and the A/C broke up in the AIR,. Eye witness accounts tell of one of the main u/c wheels being flung almost a 1/4 of a mile away and just missed farm workers . The plane burst into flames and witness state that members of the crew were trapped inside .
    the crew were
    1/ F/LT J L SOPER DFC PILOT
    2/ WING CMDR J D GREEN 2ND PILOT
    3/W/O AP MALZAN RCAF. NAV
    4/SGT G J SHEILD RCAF ,NAV
    5/ SGT H JOHNSON .W/OP
    6/SGT S J WARRENGER F/ENG
    7/SGT J H CLEMINSON,MUG
    8/ SGT W W FARMER AG.
    THIS A/C CAME DOWN IN AN AREA WHICH WAS FORMALLY KNOWN AS NORTH BRECONSHIRE , ON THE 17th SEPT 1994 A DEDICATION SERVICE WAS HELD IN THE CHURCH OF LLANGAMMARCH WELLS FOR THIS CREW AND OTHER AIRCREW THAT WERE LOST IN THE VICINITY 18 AIRMEN IN ALL , IT WAS BATTLE OF BRITAIN DAY AND A FLYPAST WAS CARRIED OUT BY FOUR HAWK A/C FROM RAF VALLEY .
    i hope this may be of interest to you bw phill jones

Thanks

Thank you very much chaps, I am extremely grateful for your help, I shall follow up the information on F/Lt Munro.

Thanks

Default Sloper and Munro

Both of these chaps flew on 17th April 43 on ops to Plzen Skoda works. I have sent you a PM.

Peter