Thread: Leonard Aubrey CROZIER

Thanks

Default Leonard Aubrey CROZIER

Hello,

I'm looking for some details about the following pilot, who lost his life on 14th October 1944, according to the CWGC.

Name: CROZIER, LEONARD AUBREY
    Initials: L A
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Date of Death: 14/10/1944
    Service No: 141472
    Additional information: Son of Leonard John Alfred and Willa Blanche Crozier, of South Benfleet; husband of Margaret Benita Crozier. of South Benfleet.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 34X.
    Cemetery: SOUTH BENFLEET (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

I've checked Aces High, Those Other Eagles, and Men of the Battle of Britain, no mention of him.

As a Hurricane pilot with No. 85 Squadron, he was shot down and wounded in France, on 16th May 1940. Details of what he did between May 1940 and his death welcome.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss

My database has him as the pilot of Warwick HG342 of Filton Comms Flight which crashed at Gors farm, Capel Iwan, Newcastle Emlyn, another occupant of the a/c was 149575 RF McAllen, aslo killed. I have not noted a source for this, I will try and find it tomorrow.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hello Dave,

Wow !

15 minutes for an answer. This site is really wonderfull.

Thanks for your quick answer.

Joss

Thanks

Joss
    further to my last the unit should read 'Filton Centaurus Flight,' the a/c was a Centaurus test bed. Crozier's death is registered at Carmarthen as is that of Ronald F Macallon (note sp), which fits with the other detail.

DaveW

Thanks

Default Re Leonard Aubrey Crozier

Hi Joss,

I read your post yesterday and am replying with information about Leonard Aubrey (Snowey) Crozier. Aubrey was my father's older brother but I never met him as he was killed long before I was born. My father Ivor (Titch) Crozier also served in the RAF. My brother, Tim Crozier, knows more about Aubrey then I do and will get in touch if you are still looking for more information? It would be interesting for us to know what your interest in Aubrey is.

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Sallie Laing

Thanks

Hello Sally,

During the Phoney War and the Battle of France, No. 85 Squadron was based in Northern France, where I live.

When I asked the question, I was preparing a commemorative display in a small village in northern France, where a U.S. B-17 bomber crashed in 1944. Two cousins of the copilot made the visit from Texas, in February. I wanted to expand to other planes lost in the vicinity, and there was a German fighter, a Messerschmitt Bf-109 which came down very close. I was gathering as much information as possible about the pilots and units involved in this air battle, Leonard Aubrey CROZIER being one of the pilots involved in the general "mle".

I was interested in knowing what he did after he was shot down in France. I presume that he was wounded in the process, thus preventing him to fly during the Battle of Britain (the reason why he's not mentioned in "Men of the Battle of Britain"), a book which gives short biographies of the aircrews who flew during the BoB.

I'm sure other members of the board would be interested to know more about Leonard CROZIER.

Joss Leclercq

Thanks

Default Leonard Aubrey Crozier.

Quote Originally Posted by sallielaing View Post
    Hi Joss,

I read your post yesterday and am replying with information about Leonard Aubrey (Snowey) Crozier. Aubrey was my father's older brother but I never met him as he was killed long before I was born. My father Ivor (Titch) Crozier also served in the RAF. My brother, Tim Crozier, knows more about Aubrey then I do and will get in touch if you are still looking for more information? It would be interesting for us to know what your interest in Aubrey is.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Sallie Laing

Hi Sallie

Check
    www.benfleethistory.org.uk
    On the home page click on War Memorials.
    There you will find two articles on Leonard Aubrey Crozier.
    The first is under the heading, In Remembrance Memorial. 1944 Casualties.
    The second is a photograph of his grave in St. Mary Churchyard. Benfleet.

I added both those articles so if you require a digital copy of his grave please let me know.

Regards.

Ronnie

Thanks

Default Leonard Aubrey Crozier

Hello Sallie Laing,
    My name is Judith Banks,formerly Judith Crozier,daughter of Leonard Crozier.I am really pleased to make contact with you Sallie,although we have never met,I knew of your existence through Grandma Crozier.We have heard that there will be a memorial service to lay a plaque in memory of Len and his co pilot at Capel Iwan on 14th July 2012 which we are trying to gather as many family members as possible to be present at this special event.It would be lovely to meet up with you if you could make it to the ceremony.I would be interested to know if your father,Ivor, is still alive .
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Fond regards,

Judith Banks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by judith anne View Post
    Hello Sallie Laing,
    My name is Judith Banks,formerly Judith Crozier,daughter of Leonard Crozier.I am really pleased to make contact with you Sallie,although we have never met,I knew of your existence through Grandma Crozier.We have heard that there will be a memorial service to lay a plaque in memory of Len and his co pilot at Capel Iwan on 14th July 2012 which we are trying to gather as many family members as possible to be present at this special event.It would be lovely to meet up with you if you could make it to the ceremony.I would be interested to know if your father,Ivor, is still alive .
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Fond regards,

Judith Banks
    Hello Judith.

I live in Benfleet and close to where Leonard Aubrey Crozier is buried in St. Mary Churchyard. The supply and unveiling of the Memorial Plaque in honour of the men who died is a fitting tribute. The unveiling in many respects will be a sad day but everyone can take comfort knowing that their memory is honoured and their names never forgotten.

I am a member of a local history group, www.benfleethistory.org.uk. I have published some information on the site about Leonard Crozier and Ronald McAllen. The information can be found under, The Armed Forces, then Memorial Services.

I have photographs of Leonards grave and should you wish to have copies I can be contacted by email on, ron.pigram@virgin.net. You will be most welcome.

Kindest regards

Ronnie Pigram