Thread: No 27 (Signals Training) Group

Thanks

Default No 27 (Signals Training) Group

Can anyone tell me what a Signals Training Group roll was? Did it have any connections with training special agents?
    Motherbird

Thanks

Default Sigs Training

G'day

No. 27 (ST) Group was responsible for all of the Royal Air Force's Radio Schools. It's H.Q. was at Lechlade, Gloucetershire.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Motherbird,
    27 (Signals Training) Group appears, from rafweb, to have been lumbered, in 1942, with almost every Unit that couldn't find a home! Come to 1944 and it has shed a lot of its 'waifs & strays'. There is, in 1942, one minor reference to a 'School of Codes & Cyphers'. This, I suspect, was simply teaching the very basics. Any pupil who showed above average ability would, in all probability, have been passed on to SOE (or one of the other shadowy 'funny' organisations).
    Malcolm may know more, but I doubt if 27 Gp was overly into the 'Cloak & Dagger' stuff. It's HQ was at the Agric Coll at Cirencester. I have to admit that I have been, sadly, led astray, on a number of occasions (whilst about Her Majesty's Official Business) in the area, by the nice pubs and the even nicer beers - but I would be grateful if this was not noised abroad too loudly!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 28th January 2011 at 16:23. Reason: spelling
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Motherbird

Peter has shamed me into replying to this one. As he says 27 Group had absolutely nothing to do with training SOE personnel. The Codes and Cyphers school was to train Operations personnel and others requiring it the principles of sending and receiving codes and cyphers between Commands/Groups and other units. My friend's father attendd it prior to taking up his posting as an Ops Officer at RAF Catfoss.

All the best