Thread: Crash-landed in Church Fenton

Thanks

Default Crash-landed in Church Fenton

Hello everyone
    In March 1945, Church Fenton, crash-landed with engine failure two Mosquito (68 Sqn RAF). Do you know the details (time, marking the extent of damage, etc)?
    24/3/1945 - D.H.Mosquito NF.Mk.XXX - crew F/O Holloway - W/O Willson
    26/3/1945 - D.H.Mosquito NF.Mk.XXX - crew F/Lt Wills - F/O Goodwin
    I am very grateful for every detail.
    Regards.
    Pavel(68Sqn)

Thanks

Hi Pavel.

I am researching air accidents in Yorkshire and think our research may cross while 68 Squadron were in the County. My research is far from complete or accurate.

Are you certain of your dates in March 1945. If my dates and serial numbers are correct then the only two 68 Squadron Mosquito incidents I know of are... which sound similar to yours....

14th Feb 1945 - Mosquito HK254. Overshot on landing on one engine. no crew info
    21st Feb 1945 - Mosquito NT323. Port engine cut out after take off, pilot landed in field off runway. no crew info

Have you the AM Form 1180s for these two? this crash card would list the pilot's names.

A further two I am interested in, if you have any info on the following I would be interested in reading it please.

25th Feb 41, Blenheim L1178 "deemed beyond repair". I have no info as to why.
    23rd Mar 41, Blenheim L1207, crashed at Great Habton, North Yorkshire. One of my "local" accidents. I can send you quite alot on this accident and crew if you're interested.

regards Rich Allenby

Thanks

Hi Rich
    I am grateful for researchers with similar interests as mine. I would get back to the accidents.
    24/3/1945 - D.H.Mosquito NF.Mk.XXX - crew F/O Holloway - W/O Willson
    26/3/1945 - D.H.Mosquito NF.Mk.XXX - crew F/Lt Wills - F/O Goodwin
    Accidents find them for granted. (www.laarbruch-museum.net/Source/RAF-68.SQD.pdf )
    This emergency landing on belly (for the failure of one engine) without serious damage and injury.
    Unfortunately, the Form 1180s for AM These two do not. I do not know the procedure how to get them. I rely on the ORB 68.Sqn.
    Furthermore, accidents are interesting:
    14th Feb 1945 - Mosquito HK254. (Overshot on landing on one engine. no crew info.) 68 Sqn at that time and released their NF.Mk.XVII NF.XIX in Wittering and got a new NF.XXX. In February 1945 68 Sqn not fly for bad weather. Up to NF.XXX practiced. Mosquito NF.Mk.XVII suddenly crashes at the airport 200 km away. My theory, Mosquito for 54 OTU crew flew ATA ?
    21st Feb 1945 - Mosquito NT323. Port engine cut out after take off, pilot landed in field off runway. no crew info
    Crew: P/O Štandera – Lac Asliendon - OK. Failure of the right engine. Knife landing five minutes after the start just behind the lairfield Wittering.
    Continuation of the moment.
    Regards, Pavel

Thanks

Hi Rich
    I continue. Blenheims are also very interesting. I have little information about them.
    25th Feb 41, Blenheim L1178 What does it mean - "deemed beyond repair"? Also, I have no information as to why.
    23rd Mar 41, Blenheim L1207, crashed at Great Habton, North Yorkshire.
    What I read is very interesting. I'm interested. I am interested in everything that even remotely smells of 68 Sqn.
    Kind Regards, Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

there is a typo "deemed beyond repair" read as "damaged beyond repair" as you can see for example here:
    http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/yorkshire/york41/l1178.html

and this phrase means it was so damaged that it is not worth to repair it.

Full details for L1207 including the crew you can find here:
    http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/yorkshire/york41/l1207.html

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz