Thread: R.C.A.F. canso crash

Thanks

Default R.C.A.F. canso crash

Hello all, I'm looking for information on the location of RCAF Canso 11086, which crashed into a mountain near Kennedy Lake , Vancouver Island on December 2, 1944. The aircraft was found July, 1945. There were nine crew on board.

Thank you. I look forward to your replies.

Eric
    Last edited by adit; 22nd April 2012 at 20:10.

Thanks

I don't have much, but the aircraft was accepted by the RCAF from Canadian Vickers on 29 May 1944, and served with 3 OTU at RCAF Station Patricia Bay from 1 July 1944. All 9 fatalities were buried at the crash site. Interestingly, the aircraft was written off on 5 June 1945, before the wreckage was discovered.

Thanks

Canso 11086, with nine men on board, set out from Patricia Bay on a navigation training flight on Dec. 2, 1944, and vanished without even sending an SOS. Four days after its disappearance, a bedraggled carrier pigeon, believed to be from the missing aircraft, returned to its loft. There was no message container and it was impossible to determine when it had been liberated. The wreckage was found on July 1, 1945, near Kennedy Lake, east of Tofino, indicating that the bird had probably escaped from the aircraft rather than being launched by a crewman.
    From: http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2009/04/winding-down-western-air-command-air-force-part-32/
    The site is described in Consolidated Pby Catalina by David Legg as being a few miles north of Kennedy Lake near Ucluelet. All crew were buried at the crash site which was on the side of a mountain.
    Regards
    Dave Wallace

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

The following, abridged feedback was provided by BC researcher Jerry Vernon:

"Canso 11086 was c/n CV-421. TOS 29 Jun 44 and SOS 05 Jun 46, having crashed into a hillside above Kennedy Lake, 26 miles East of Ucluelet, on 02 Dec 44.

The SAR Pin List shows it as Pin No. 120, located at 4909'N/12530'30"W, located at the 4,000 ft. level, near top of mountain, between Kennedy Lake and Clayoquot Arm.

I have seen a photo of the remains at the crash site, consisting of the intact fuselage from the main undercarriage aft. Forward fuselage had burned back to the gear.

Back in the 1980s I was told that the area had been logged up to general area of the crash site and people could then drive up on logging roads almost to the site. When a engine was rolled over an RCAF issue wristwatch was found and a ring. The watch had the name of one of the crew engraved on it and the ring had "Love (woman's name)". These items were passed on to me and I passed them on to the Canadian Museum of Flight.

I understand that the bodies were buried on site in a mass grave due to the inaccessibility of the crash site (see what it says on the Accident Card) and that there is now a cairn at the site.

It appears that the aircraft was caught in bad weather off the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and flew inland in the Ucluelet/Tofino area and disappeared off the radar plot."

Jerry also provided a copy of the Accident Card which lists the crew members.

Bill: I note the card also states the unit was 3 OTU Comox rather than Patricia Bay.

Regards:

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 24th April 2012 at 00:08. Reason: Added crew members ref and Comox ref

Thanks

Thank you all for the information . Eric

Thanks

Thanks Robert. I forgot that 3 OTU had moved by then.

Thanks

My Uncle Alonzo Irvine Staples died in that crash. Would you happen to know the name on the ring found under the engine? I was wondering if it could have been from his wife, my aunt.

Quote Originally Posted by robstitt View Post
    The following, abridged feedback was provided by BC researcher Jerry Vernon:

"Canso 11086 was c/n CV-421. TOS 29 Jun 44 and SOS 05 Jun 46, having crashed into a hillside above Kennedy Lake, 26 miles East of Ucluelet, on 02 Dec 44.

The SAR Pin List shows it as Pin No. 120, located at 4909'N/12530'30"W, located at the 4,000 ft. level, near top of mountain, between Kennedy Lake and Clayoquot Arm.

I have seen a photo of the remains at the crash site, consisting of the intact fuselage from the main undercarriage aft. Forward fuselage had burned back to the gear.

Back in the 1980s I was told that the area had been logged up to general area of the crash site and people could then drive up on logging roads almost to the site. When a engine was rolled over an RCAF issue wristwatch was found and a ring. The watch had the name of one of the crew engraved on it and the ring had "Love (woman's name)". These items were passed on to me and I passed them on to the Canadian Museum of Flight.

I understand that the bodies were buried on site in a mass grave due to the inaccessibility of the crash site (see what it says on the Accident Card) and that there is now a cairn at the site.

It appears that the aircraft was caught in bad weather off the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and flew inland in the Ucluelet/Tofino area and disappeared off the radar plot."

Jerry also provided a copy of the Accident Card which lists the crew members.

Bill: I note the card also states the unit was 3 OTU Comox rather than Patricia Bay.

Regards:

Robert

Thanks

Hello Lyllyan , You could try contacting the Canadian Museum of Flight as they may be able to help you .They are in Langley British Columbia . 604-532-0035 and are open 10 am-4 pm 7 days a week .
    Eric

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Adit,

Some of the artifacts were sent to the MoF.

Robert

Thanks

I've checked with the Museum of Flight in Langley and so far they have no record of the donation of the watch and ring mentioned in previous posts. I will keep trying though. Thank you for your advice and information.