Thread: Does any RAF unit perpetuate the traditions of 82 Sqn?

Thanks

Default Does any RAF unit perpetuate the traditions of 82 Sqn?

I am wondering if any RAF unit perpetuates the traditions of units that have been disbanded as happens with some Army units. In particular, I am looking for any vestige of 82 Sqn. In its last incarnation, it was a Thor missile unit, but it was disbanded in 1963.

I believe the 82 Sqn Association is no longer active, either, but I would be happy to be corrected.
    David

Thanks

When a unit disbands it is often the squadron association that keep its memory alive and these may sometimes be paired or linked with another association or to the base where they served. In 82's case, Shepherds Grove has also long gone, although there might be some vestige of remembrance as the station was used by 38 Gp squadrons up to the end of the war. A quick search of the web might reveal if there are any commemorations at Shepherds Grove (24 March would be a good day as its Op VARSITY).

The squadron standard, if awarded, is laid up in a church or similar, the silverware is taken into a central depository, retained by the last station or - regretably true sometimes - looted. Some items are returned to the original donator (is there such a word?). Scrap books and other things might end up with squadron members.

You might find a request to DORIS at the RAF Museum to search their accession lists for everything with '82 Sqn' might throw up reading material, photographs etc.

I must say that my own experience suggests disappointment is the likely outcome, as once the association has gone, there is nobody pushing the interests of the squadron's history or attempting to maintain the heritage. Those squadrons which have gone over the last 20 or so years are probably in the best shape since the former members are still around and young enough to keep a lively association.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Thanks Duffer, That's what I thought. I would think a missile squadron, as they came to be, wouldn't have quite the same potential for maintaining traditions as a flying squadron. 82 Sqn was disbanded as a flying unit in 1956 and then reformed as a missile unit in 1959, lasting only four more years. I can find no sign of an association anywhere on the web either.
    David

Thanks

Hello,

As No. 82 Squadron flew Blenheims during the early part of the war, and if it's the period you're seeking, perhaps could you try the Blenheim society ? I know that many Squadrons in No. 2 Group don't have their own association, and I remember many veterans gathered under a "wider" association, such as the Mosquito Aircrew association, if my memory serves me well. But some of them never flew the Mosquito, as they served earlier and flew Blenheims or Bostons for example.

Just a thought.

As an associate member of no. 609 (WR) Squadron association, I confirm what Old Duffer (Colin ?) wrote. We are lucky to have an association still going strong. We now have very few WW2 members, (and the Squadron disbanded in 1957), but the association opened up to families of members, and some "foreigners" like me, who are devoted to it, were accepted in its ranks. The formation of a new 609 in the reserve brought new blood, but that's not possible with every R.A.F. unit that ever existed.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 1st February 2011 at 18:37.

Thanks

Thanks Joss, but my interest in 82 Sqn goes back to 6 Mar 1918, when 2/Lt. Donovan L. Sisley was lost in his AW FK8 along with his observer while on a photo recon mission (I have the details of the loss already).

I am inviting letters of greeting from current commanders for a memorial event in November. Sisley is one of four airmen from Malvern Collegiate named on the school's cenotaph, which is being restored and rededicated on Nov. 4, 2011, after a community fundraising campaign.
    David

Thanks

Here we are three years after the last posting on this Thread and I'm trying to reopen it!!

In another incarnation, I am the 'stand in' membership secretary of the RAF Historical Society and an elderly gent has sent me a letter, believing I am actually responsible for 82 Sqn's Association. The posts above and other web searches suggest that the association for that sqn is no more. However, if anybody out there knows otherwise, please tell me.

Colin Cummings