Thread: Info losses 12/13 August 1944 Braunschweig & Russelsheim raids

Thanks

Default Info losses 12/13 August 1944 Braunschweig & Russelsheim raids

Dear all,

In the preparation of the 2nd edition of the Nachtjagd War Diaries, I am looking for info on the crash locations/cause off loss/time of loss of the following heavies that failed to return on the night of 12/13 August 1944:

115 Sqn Lancaster ND927 (Braunschweig raid)
    166 Sqn Lancaster PD260 (Braunschweig raid)
    101 Sqn Lancaster ME617 (Rüsselsheim raid)
    156 Sqn Lancaster ND444 (Rüsselsheim raid)
    514 Sqn Lancaster LM265 (Rüsselsheim raid)
    622 Sqn Lancaster LM466 (Rüsselsheim raid)
    640 Sqn Halifax MZ855 (Rüsselsheim raid)

I do have the info from Chorley's 1944 Vol.; any additional info much appreciated!

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo

There is reference to MZ855/F loss on Page 81-82 of Bill Norman’s “No. 640 (Halifax) Squadron : RAF Leconfield book ISBN 1 900604 08 6. Briefly summarising, after bombing the target, the aircraft fell victim to either flak or possibly a Schrage Musik nightfighter. The aircraft reportedly crashed at Ciney near Namur in Belgium and four of the crew landed near the village of Lalou, 6 km. south of Ciney,

Douglas

Thanks

Hi Theo,

I have found some information on two of the aircraft you are after. I'll send you an email at home.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hello chaps,

Cheers & thanks for the useful info; Douglas, the info on MZ855 fits in well with one of the German NF claims that were logged on the Rüsselheim homeward-bound track, thanks for sharing this!

John, I'll get back to you on your private mail.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Default Info losses 12/13 August 1944 Braunschweig & Russelsheim raids re: LM466 GI-P

Hi
    I realise it has been quite a while since you initially posted this request. My uncle was rear gunner in the aircraft when it went down. Only one member of the crew survived, Sgt Cowan, and he was taken as PoW. According to information handed down to me, the other members of the crew were shot as they parachuted down. I do not have information pertaining to the reason for its loss, although I have been told it may have been hit by flak; there were certainly enough nighfighters around that night to put doubt in my mind.

Thanks

Theo,
    This is what's in my files:
    ND927 - Ordinghausen 15 km W of Hoya - 01.00 hrs.
    PD260 - near Wagenfeld - 01.15 hrs.
    ME617 - Flak - 1 km SE of Mönchbruch.
    ND444 - location not known but crew initially buried Daleiden (Eifel - German/Lux. border).
    LM265 - 1 km S of Engelstadt between Bad Kreuznach and Mainz.
    LM466 - Flak - Mönchbruch, 700 metre N of Forsthaus Woogsdamm (sic) between Mörfelden and Gross-Gerau (burials initially Gross-Gerau).
    MZ855 - Mohiville NE of Ciney/Namur.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,
    I am hoping you can help me.
    Could you tell me the source of your files?

I have recently searched through F/O Busby's archive (after helpful guidance from Theo and John Williams) and found the crash site to be 600m north of the Forestry Houses at Woogsdamm, and your information of 700m north tallies with this.
    However the exact site of Woogsdamm is difficult to ascertain; on Google Earth/Bing Maps the position is in the middle of woods. There don't appear to be any buildings as such other than further south at Woogsdammweg, a lane on the North edge of Gross Gerau where there is a riding school.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    Neil

Thanks

Woogsdamm (sic) from unknown German researcher. Also had problems to find 'Woogsdam' and for that reason added '(sic)' behind location.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Neil,
    On my ADAC map (scale 1:150.000) is the name "Ob. Forsthaus" west of Mönchbruch on the national road # 486.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,

Many thanks for posting your useful info on a number of losses on 12/13.8.44, only saw your reply this afternoon hence this rather late thank you very much!

Cheers, Theo