Thread: Lancaster W4232

Thanks

Default Lancaster W4232

Can anyone tell me what happened to this aircraft on 17 April 1944 please? It allegedly crashed near RAF Syerston and was from No 5 LFS. A former Land Girl says she watched its port wing 'snap off' and then it crashed into woods adjacent to the River Trent, but I am not sure about how accurate her account is. Thank you.

Thanks

Hi Helen,

Your friend is correct, according to Bill Chorley's book on Bomber Command losses Lancaster W4232 RC-Y took off at 1601 from Syerton for general flying training. Four minutes later and possibly while still climbing (eyewitnesses put the aircraft at 1000 feet) a stall occurred and as the bomber fell, the port mainplane and the tip of the starboard wing came off. Only five bodies could be positively identified, thue the names of Sgt Davis and Sgt Townsley are perpetuated on panels 228 and 239 respectively on the Runnymede Memorial. Four were taken to their home towns but 20 year old P/O B L Humphreys RAAF of Kew in Victoria rests with just over 150 of his countrymen on Oxford (Botley) Cemetery at North Hinlsey.

The crew were;

P/O B L Humphreys RAAF
    Sgt A Townsley
    F/S A H Farrell
    Sgt N H Cutler
    Sgt R J Brown
    Sgt J A Davis
    Sgt A D Bale

I hope that helps.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Default Lancaster W4232

Thank you very much for that information, John. It confirms what the lady told me she saw happen whilst working in the fields.