Thread: Ops to Peenumude, Leverkussen, Berlin in August 1943.

Thanks

Default Ops to Peenumude, Leverkussen, Berlin in August 1943.

Hi All,

To help with my research project does anyone have any information on crews lost or who took part in these ops ? Also does anyone have any photos that would be prepared to share of any crews lost or otherwise who were involved in any of these three ops ?

Please contact me at harley.158ATboigpond.com replace the AT with the usual.

Thank you,

Regards,

John.

Thanks

I think you will find much of the casualty info is contained in 'Chorley 1943' and Martin Middlebrook's book about the Peenemunde raid. Searby's book also has something to say about it and the Bomber Command War Diaries also set out some of the context in which the raids were carried out.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Thanks for that, I have all three book you spoke of, just look for a bit more.

John.

Thanks

My father was on those three ops. I tried to e mail you, (replacing the at) but keep getting e mail bounced back.

Thanks

Sorry David,

My mistake, it should read harley.158ATbigpond.com

Regards,

John.

Thanks

John

A word of warning re John Searby's book the Peenemunde raid. In the version I have, the book has 199 Squadron having about a dozen aircraft operational as bomber support. A quick look at the ORB shows either John Searby or a researcher has recorded the crews who were operational for 199 exactly one year after the Peenemunde raid. For the record, only two 199 crews were operational to Peenemunde namely those crews piloted by S/Ldr. Humby and Sgt. Hodson. Additionally, at the time of the raid, 199 were a Main Force squadron and not used as bomber support.

Douglas