Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was there an RAF hospital at Pocklington?

Thanks

Default Was there an RAF hospital at Pocklington?

I am reviewing a service record for one of my subjects, W/O Norman W. Gardner, RCAF, and I am puzzled by the path he took. Can anyone tell what the notations about 10 Sqn and the RAF Pocklington mean? Was he assigned to an operational squadron, became seriously ill, and then sent to Pocklington for treatment and recuperation? I assume he was then returned to an HCU to resume his path to an operational squadron. He didn't make it, he and his HCU crew were killed in a flying accident over Lavally, Ireland, on 7 Nov 1943 (Halifax EB134, which Anne Tierney did such a great job on researching.)

10 Mar 1943 Heavy Conversion Unit 1659, RAF Topcliffe
    16 Apr 1943 Struck of Strength 1659 HCU, for 10 Sqn, RAF Melbourne, Yorkshire
    25 Apr 1943 Placed on seriously and dangerously ill list (PX66?)
    30 Apr 1943 Taken on Strength at Pocklington (?)
    1 May 1943 Temporary Warrant Officer 1st Class (Removed from seriously & dangerously ill list)
    30 Jul 1943 Sick leave to 19 Aug (21 days)
    26 Sep 1943 Heavy Conversion Unit 1663, RAF Rufforth, Yorkshire (Halifax V, Halifax II, Halifax III)
    David

Thanks

Hi

Living near Pocklington, I'm not aware of a hospital there but wonder if Pocklington as a Base HQ at that time had a holding unit on whose establishment those in hospital or convalescing was held until they could be returned to the establishment of a training or operational unit.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm. This question points out one of the shortcomings of the "genie" package that you get from Library & Archives Canada. In providing the wonderful free service they do, the staff are necessarily selective about the documents they include in the set they send out for free. I assume there might be more of a medical file on him that details his health and recuperation but I can't get to Ottawa to see the file in full.

What strikes me as odd is that he was sent to Pocklington after only a month at 1659. I am guessing that he wasn't finished at Topcliffe but was he sent to an operational squadron before after he became "seriously & dangerously ill" or after?
    David

Thanks

He probably wasn't actually sent to Pocklington, merely held on their books whilst he was in hospital or in a convalescent home

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi, seconded on being reasonably local - The Friarage at Northallerton would be the logical place for this chap to be admitted to hospital from Topcliffe.

Malcolm has covered my other thoughts.

One other possibilty, were there any stately homes or halls in the Pocklington area taken over for recuperation by the forces?

regards Rich

Thanks

Hi Rich

Burnby Hall is near Pocklington

Malcolm

Thanks

It appears he was seriously ill for a while, so I would think he would have needed to be at a hospital, rather than a recuperation facility in a great house. Was Burnaby Hall used as a convalescent centre in the war?
    David

Thanks

Default Was there an RAF hospital at Pocklington?

I'm researching a family member who served with 10 Sqn within this exact time frame.

According to copies of squadron ORBs (Form 540) I have FSgt Gardner N W (WOP/AG) posted in at 10 Sqn, Melbourne, along with F/L Badcoe E C, and his crew, from 1659 HCU.

I've checked Form 540 for the succeeding months and can find no record of him being posted N/E sick to Pocklington. Neither can I find an entry for him being posted anywhere in September.

It's been some time since your original post, have you managed to further your enquiries?

Regards,

Jim

Thanks

So, in pursuance of the RAF Law which says that "Everybody HAS to be Somewhere ALL the Time" are we now saying that if an RAF person was admitted to a Civilian Hospital (for whatever reason) then as that Hospital was not an official RAF Station the person HAD to be posted to some mythical N/E Holding Unit? Conversely, if the admittance was to a Military Hospital then, presumably, the Admin bumph would record being posted to a Military Establishment? I'm not suggesting this was an inviolable rule (many 'rules' were made-up/interpreted "as they went along"). But it does seem to me that what is outlined above (in the absence of info to the contrary) might well account for more than 51% of hospitalisations? Not all these movements would, necessarily, be recorded in the various Station/Unit ORBs. They might just be an entry in the next lot of PORs on SROs.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 9th December 2011 at 14:25.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    So, in pursuance of the RAF Law which says that "Everybody HAS to be Somewhere ALL the Time" are we now saying that if an RAF person was admitted to a Civilian Hospital (for whatever reason) then as that Hospital was not an official RAF Station the person HAD to be posted to some mythical N/E Holding Unit? Conversely, if the admittance was to a Military Hospital then, presumably, the Admin bumph would record being posted to a Military Establishment? I'm not suggesting this was an inviolable rule (many 'rules' were made-up/interpreted "as they went along"). But it does seem to me that what is outlined above (in the absence of info to the contrary) might well account for more than 51% of hospitalisations? Not all these movements would, necessarily, be recorded in the various Station/Unit ORBs. They might just be an entry in the next lot of PORs on SROs.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Was that for my benefit, or a general comment?

The OP asked if there was an RAF hospital at Pocklington. The assumption being that the OP presumably knew, or at least had the impression, that was where the subject of his/her researches went.

My comment was a merely a statement of fact regarding what appears in the ORBs and I make no apologies for that.
    As I said I am also researching a family member who joined the squadron at that time and who was also posted out in September. I merely recorded the the facts as entered, without any further comment, in an effort to be helpful.

You are quite correct in what you say. The subject of my research was also "off the radar" for about three weeks. He too may have been sick and receiving treatment. If so his absence was not recorded in the ORBs either.

Since the ORBs detail individuals who were sent there N/E sick, then all I said was that there seems to be no record of that fact in the ORBs. In that case it may well be that it was not recorded there, or maybe (and perhaps more interestingly to the OP) he did not "go to Pocklington", but to a civilian hospital elsewhere instead. I didn't think it would be necessary to explain that.