Thread: Flt Lt Norman Frederick Snelson

Thanks

Default Flt Lt Norman Frederick Snelson

Norman Snelson was with 184 Squadron and he flew in Spitfires and Typhoons. The very limited information I have on him comes from the London Gazette. I have seen a reference on the 184 Squadron web site to a forced landing in August 1944 and a report in Flight Magazine of July 1945 of him being reported missing. I have also heard that he was shot down twice and taken prisoner of war and then escaped on both occasions although I have seen no record to substantiate this.

Can anyone tell me any more about him?

Thanks

Default Flt Lt N.F.Snelson

Snelson arrived with 184 Sqn (from 83 Group Support Unit) on 19 August 1944. He was a Flg Off at the time. I've only two notes of his subsequent service with the unit. 26 August 44, engine failure, force landed in Allied territory SE Caen (Typhoon JR371 BR-V Category B damage) and 25 February 45, when he was 'spare' on an operation but when he turned back (as the spare did if not required - usually at the 'bomb-line') the engine temperature went 'off the clock' and he was foreced to bale out 4 mls north if Rees and was captured (Typhoon MN972 BR-D).

Maybe he flew Spits before Typhoons and was an escaper/evader?
    CT
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 8th February 2011 at 14:31. Reason: typo

Thanks

Finally, I have tracked down my uncle Norman on the net - Flt Lt Norman Frederick Snelson, featured here on these pages. I have also found 184 squaron, where I have posted a similar reply in their guestbook. Of course, I did know my uncle in real life until he died suddenly at the age of 62 from a heart attack. He was only two years into his retirement from the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, where he was Treasurer.

His flight logs are now in the IWM. He flew a variety of aircraft including Spitfires but mainly Typhoons - not his favourite aircraft due to unreliability of the engine unit. He did run missions into Europe striking at munitions trains with the Typhoon's rockets. He was taken prisoner of war twice after being shot down on one occasion and bailing out with a failed engine on another. He escaped on both occasions and finally went on to be a trainer in the USA for the USAF.

If Chris Thomas or drialton pick this reply up, then I hope this gives some more information. He is survived by his wife Doreen who is now 86 years old and still lives in the same family home in Birkenhead.

Best regards to you all.
    Dave Snelson

Thanks

Default Norman Snelson

There is no record of Norman Snelson being an evader in 'RAF Evaders' by Clutton-Brock. I am interested in any information about his time after the end of the war as a pilot instructor to USAF and later when, I am told, he was a DeHavilland test pilot. Does anyone know anything of him in these roles?

I am also interested in finding information on a friend of Norman's by the name of Peter Manley who was also an RAF pilot during WWII. He may possibly have been in the same sqaudron, 184, but I am by no means certain of this.