Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Air Sea Rescue launches

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Hugh mckinnon

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi Joss

    There were four others lost on this date: -

    HARDING, LESLIE JOHN (644368) RAF - age 20 Cpl
    PRIOR, LEONARD NORTON (653713) RAF - age 22 LAC
    McKINNON, HUGH (997459) RAFVR - age 32 LAC
    MACKINNON, WALTER RAMSEY (1052068) RAFVR - age 35 LAC

    They are all listed as being with No 12 Balloon Centre, do you know if these are linked the ASR launches?

    Malcolm

    I'm new to this forum so must apologise if I'm going through the wrong thread for this information. I googled Hugh's name and this came up.
    LAC Hugh McKinnon is my great uncle and I would grateful for any information you can give me about him. I know he died on 19/8/42 at dieppe and is buried at Oostduinkerke cemetery in Belgium
    Thank you

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi LAC Hugh McKinnon is my great uncle. Any information you have learned. Bout him would be AppreciAted. Thank you

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi Carol ... I am just checking back in with the forum after a while and noticed that you had posted up under this topic.
    I had some paperwork a while ago to this chap ... namely his RAF casualty scroll ... but had no further info such as a photo etc so I am sure that I parted with it.
    Very little I can add to the story other than what is on the thread ... he must have been either onboard a vessel or ashore on the beaches involved perhaps with disabling the german version of barrage ballons etc ... anything more that you may know I would be interested in hearing about.
    Regards
    Gary

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,491
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Hi Carol,

    1. Apologies for not making these suggestions when you first asked the question, but you should request your uncle's service record from the RAF; details as to how to proceed can be found at https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records . There is a search fee (30) and you will probably have to wait some 20-odd weeks before your receive the details. A service record contains a list of all the units with which he served, from that it should be possible to identify their locationsd (should you wish to visit them).

    2. Should you not have a photo of his grave you can obtain one from The War Graves Photographic Project (TWGPP) at http://www.twgpp.org/; there is a thumbnail at http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3867424. TWGPP is a very good organisation and will also send a photo, or photos, of the cemetery at no extra cost (3.50 for an email copy).

    3. The 12 Balloon Centre Operations Record Book (ORB), is held by the National Archives (file AIR 29/67); an ORB is a unit's diary and this may contain some details as to what he was doing at the time of his death. Unfortunately this ORB is not digitised, so cannot be downloaded, which means, I'm afraid, a visit in person.

    4. If you were not aware 12 Balloon Centre was based at Titchfield.

    Good hunting

    Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 6th October 2014 at 15:38. Reason: spelling, amongst other things

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bewdley, UK
    Posts
    2,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    1939-45 AS/R airmen were assigned to a Balloon Unit for admin purposes so consider them full time at the AS/R unit but paid from the Balloon Unit. It was a hangover from the way the early formation of the AS/R Branch was carried out for accounting reasons.

    Post #7 in the early days of this thread links to a discussion explaining other AS/R Balloon Unit deaths.

    Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 6th October 2014 at 15:57.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolMags View Post
    I'm new to this forum so must apologise if I'm going through the wrong thread for this information. I googled Hugh's name and this came up.
    LAC Hugh McKinnon is my great uncle and I would grateful for any information you can give me about him. I know he died on 19/8/42 at dieppe and is buried at Oostduinkerke cemetery in Belgium
    Thank you
    Hello Carol
    If he was killed at Dieppe on this date and he was balloon crew at the time, then it would appear that he probably was part of the 'Dieppe Raid' a beach 'Raid on Dieppe'. Apparently it is claimed that double agents tipped off the defences and the raid by the British was a failure.
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 6th October 2014 at 19:09.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hello Carol

    The idea was to take Dieppe Harbour, so seaborne raiding parties were going to raid the coast both sides of the town in landing craft.

    Captain Stephen Roskill's book The Navy at War 1939 to 1945 (1960 edition) has 3 pages about it. Roskill said that one group of landing craft met a German coastal convoy at sea, delaying the eastern raiding party and that flank became confused and was a complete failure. But the frontal assault went ahead, but failed when the Germans opened up on them on the beaches.

    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 6th October 2014 at 20:14.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Thanks Mark

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hood View Post
    Hello Carol

    The idea was to take Dieppe Harbour, so seaborne raiding parties were going to raid the coast both sides of the town in landing craft.

    Captain Stephen Roskill's book The Navy at War 1939 to 1945 (1960 edition) has 3 pages about it. Roskill said that one group of landing craft met a German coastal convoy at sea, delaying the eastern raiding party and that flank became confused and was a complete failure. But the frontal assault went ahead, but failed when the Germans opened up on them on the beaches.

    Mark
    Thank you so much for both your posts. I have read up on the battle and was shocked to discover what a disaster it was. Do you have any idea why, if my Uncle Hugh died at DIEPPE, how his grave is in Belgium? If it wasn't for the date of his death I would never have connected him to dieppe. Carol

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    Hi Carol,

    1. Apologies for not making these suggestions when you first asked the question, but you should request your uncle's service record from the RAF; details as to how to proceed can be found at https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records . There is a search fee (30) and you will probably have to wait some 20-odd weeks before your receive the details. A service record contains a list of all the units with which he served, from that it should be possible to identify their locationsd (should you wish to visit them).

    2. Should you not have a photo of his grave you can obtain one from The War Graves Photographic Project (TWGPP) at http://www.twgpp.org/; there is a thumbnail at http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3867424. TWGPP is a very good organisation and will also send a photo, or photos, of the cemetery at no extra cost (3.50 for an email copy).

    3. The 12 Balloon Centre Operations Record Book (ORB), is held by the National Archives (file AIR 29/67); an ORB is a unit's diary and this may contain some details as to what he was doing at the time of his death. Unfortunately this ORB is not digitised, so cannot be downloaded, which means, I'm afraid, a visit in person.

    4. If you were not aware 12 Balloon Centre was based at Titchfield.

    Good hunting

    Brian
    Thank you so much for your suggestions and links. I will post back if I find anything. Thanks again Carol

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludford101 View Post
    Hi Carol ... I am just checking back in with the forum after a while and noticed that you had posted up under this topic.
    I had some paperwork a while ago to this chap ... namely his RAF casualty scroll ... but had no further info such as a photo etc so I am sure that I parted with it.
    Very little I can add to the story other than what is on the thread ... he must have been either onboard a vessel or ashore on the beaches involved perhaps with disabling the german version of barrage ballons etc ... anything more that you may know I would be interested in hearing about.
    Regards
    Gary
    Thank you. If I find any information I will definitely let you know.. Carol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •