Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bomber, landed in Heurne-Oudenaarde (Belgium) in WWII

pinguina Guest

Default bomber, landed in Heurne-Oudenaarde (Belgium) in WWII

Could you help me?
    I'm searching for information about a bomber that made a belly landing in Heurne (Belgium) during the harvest period in 1942 or 1943.
    Unknown if there were victims, but eye-whitnesses saw 3 crew members leaving the plane. The plane was nearly undamaged, and one of the crew tried to set it on fire. Shortly after this, the crew was captured by the German military.
    The allied, 2-engined, heavily armed bomber stayd there (heavily guarded) about 3 weeks and then is split up in parts and transported by rail.
    Unknown which plane, correct date, order or crew, but there should exist a picture of it.

Only sure thing is the bomber landed on his belly on Axelwalle northern of the regio Heurne-Oudenaarde in Belgium. Coördinates: 50°53 and 3°38

Could anyone help me out with information or give me a contact where i could ask it?
    Last edited by pinguina; 28th February 2008 at 11:25.

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Pinguina,

Can you maybe post this picture of the crashed plane or tell us where we can find it (on the web or in a book titled...?)

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

hello

The best would be to contact the Belgian Aviation Historical Association (BAHA) which should prove easy to find though a Google Search, or through the Air section of the Musée Royal de l'Armée in Bruxelles (I remember I've once seen a map of Belgium with dots showing the crash sites).

Actually, you don't give enough information for us to identify this plane, but it's probable that a Belgian Aviation historian has already identified it having located Police (or else) records with R.A.F./U.S.A.A.F. archives.

Good luck

Joss

Bart FM Droog Guest

This is the BAHA-site: http://www.baha.be/
    And this is were its forum can be found: http://www.brakke.be/forum/index.php

pinguina Guest

thanks, i just found BAHA by Google.
    Funny, as i'm Belgian.
    Sorry i don't have the picture. I found the request in a local paper last weekend and as the wife of a Belgian military, i became interested and started a search myself.
    The story i placed is all i have yet, but i wait for an answer of the person that placed the request.

Thanks

Default Heurne

Hi Pinguina,

Found in my files as possible date of a crash at Heurne : August 27,1943.
    The source of this data is however not mentioned.

If this date is the correct one the plane in question could be Enlgish (RAF) or American (USAAF).

Best regards from another side of Belgium

Luc

Thanks

Perhaps as help: Oudenaarde at that time probably would be spelled as "Audenarde" in any report written in English. Or German for that matter.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Unless a more precise date comes up, possibilities over Belgium may range from a Wellington, Mitchell, Ventura and Boston (RAF) to B-26 (USAAF, but then only in 1943).

Two-engined bomber and more than a two-men crew, dismissing a Mosquito...

I've been in contact with the gentleman who placed the ad in the newspaper and unfortunately nothing more can be added than is already posted in this thread.

There was a USAAF B-26 loss on the date Luc suggested (27/8/43) but this a/c apparently went down between Rouen and the French coast.
    Moreover, 3 RAF Bostons of 107 Squadrons were lost that day as well, but again, over France.

Interestingly, Boston BZ399 of 88 Squadron made a belly landing on 26 July 1943 after a mission to Courtrai (Belgium). Picture here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/album/showphoto.php?photo=5497&si=Boston

However, I don't know where this happened, but there were four crew taken prisoner.

No RAF losses found near Oudenaarde/Audenarde (at least Bomber Command) that match the account of the eyewitnesses.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

hello,

I'm quite interested in this thread as for the date of 27th August 1943. I concur with Leendert, both 3 Bostons of No. 107 Squadron crashed in the Pas-de-Calais departement (two collided and crashed, the third force-landed).

We can also dismiss the Mosquito for it was an unarmed bomber (contrary to the statement of an heavily armed bomber...).

3 B-17s were also lost in northern France that day, during the raid against Eperlecques.

This could be a R.A.F. Wellington (the last one that crashed in northern France during an ops did so during the night 30/31st August 1943, HE500 of No. 26 OTU).

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

I've sent a mail to the gentleman and asked if he can show the pictures of the belly landed Boston to the eyewitnesses. Perhaps it may ring a bell?

Any idea where BZ399 came down? In Tony Wood's Luftwaffe Claims it says that Hptm. Hans Naumann of 4./JG26 claimed a/the Boston over Lille/Vendeville airfield, while in Shores & Thomas, 2 TAF, Vol. 1 the Boston was "last seen over St. Amand". This, I believe, is a small village in your area...

Regards,

Leendert