Thread: Ferry Command crash sites in Gander, Newfoundland

Thanks

Default Ferry Command crash sites in Gander, Newfoundland

Hello,
    I am a doctoral candidate at Memorial University of Newfoundland, and part of my thesis project is to identify and inventory the WWII resources in the area, including doing archaeological work in the old town site (abandoned in 1953) and the aircraft crash sites in the area.

I am having some difficulty in identifying and finding incident information for the Ferry Command aircraft found in the area. I have positively identified a Ventura, AJ471, that crashed near Benton, Newfoundland, on 25 May 1943 and a B-24, AL591, that crashed just outside of Gander on 9 Feb 1943, and have a very small bit of information for each of these aircraft.

I am having much more difficulty identifying two other Ferry Command aircraft, and am wondering if anyone has further information that would help me to positively identify them. The first is a B-25 that crashed very near the Gander Airport. My best guess is that it is KJ584, crashed 29 Aug 1944, but it could also be FR369, crashed 15 Oct 1945, FR148, crashed 26 Feb 1943 or FL209, crashed 22 May 1943. Second is a Hudson that crashed near the Gander Airport, and is located at what is now the junction of the Trans Canada Highway and the road to the Commonwealth War Graves at Gander. Very little of this wreck remains as the public was encouraged to remove pieces when it was to be paved over for both the highway and the road to the graveyard. I have no idea what specific aircraft this is, only that it is a Ferry Command flight.

If anyone has any information regarding these Ferry Command flights, or any information about Ferry Command in Gander in general, I would be very interested.

Thank you

Thanks

Default Hudson Crash

G'day Lisa

Hudson Mk. VI s/n FK690 (R.A.F. Ferry Command) crashed one minute after take off from Gander and caught fire. The accident happened at 03:51 hours on the 6th of December 1942. There were four onboard and all were killed.

I got your e-mail and will call you tonight with further details about the crew.

Cheers...Chris

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hello Lisa:
    Am in touch with someone who specializes in your area of research. Send me an email or PM and I'll put you in touch.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Hi,
    Just thought it might be of interest - there is a very good account of the loss of AL591 in 'North Atlantic Cat' by Don McVicar.
    Ian

Thanks

Default Raffc

Lisa,

The AJ471 incident was 18 Nov 1942. Aircraft by TCH/CWGC cemetery is indeed Hudson FK690. Crew is buried at the CWGC cemetery. They are:

P/O R.G.S. Burrows (P)
    Sgt. Douglas P.C. Simmons, (CP)
    Sgt. J.E. Frazel (R)
    P/O Graeme H. Thomson (N)

The B-25 is KJ584. Crashed on take-off at 0342Z on 29 Aug 1944. Pilot (Kabin) and crew were buried at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in St. John's. See:

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Cemetery/kabin-vladimir-mt-pleas-prot-sjc-5669.shtml

Darrell

Thanks

Lisa,
    You may have seen this article:-
    http://www.iosphere.net/~sullivan/listing1.htm
    Two of the crew of Hudson FK690 were Australians, Burrows and Fazel, their casualty files can be obtained from the National Archives of Australia for a small fee and usually contain the accident reports and map locations. Any file already digitalised can be down loaded free but unfortunately these two have not be done.
    Link to R.G.S Burrows is:
    http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=1054415
    J.E Fazel
    http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=1056901
    Since Burrows was the Pilot his file will certainly have the reports.
    There may be other files of interest in their archives.
    Alan.

Thanks

Default Thank you

Thank you all for your information, it has been a very big help.
    Apologies for taking so long to extend my thanks, but I very quickly became distracted with trying to plan my archaeological field season. This past summer I did visit the site of KJ584, as well as a USAAF A-20 and an RCAF Lodestar, all war era. If anyone is interested in images from this, AJ471 (still in good condition) or FK690 (very little remaining, only a couple of pieces of scrap), please feel free to email me at lisamichelledaly@gmail.com
    Again, thank you for all of your help in my research.