Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito ML-998

Alain Guest

Default Mosquito ML-998

Hello ,

On december 23 1944 Mosquito ML-998 N°109 squadron was lost.The crew F/O Carpenter Eric C RCAF and F/O Lamberth William T were killed.Theu rest at the Reichswald Forest Cemetery. Does somebody knows the place of the crash ?

Thanks

Hi Alain
    Only a little help, but Chorley Vol 5 has this a/c as shot down by a fighter "over the target area", the target being Cologne in this case
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Mosquito ML-998

This aircraft was shot down on an "Oboe leader" raid on Cologne's Gremberg Marshalling yards on the afternoon of Dec.23/44.
    It was a formatation of Lancasters from 582 Squadron led by an Oboe equipped Lancaster of 582 Squadron with a 109 Squadron pilot and navigator doing the Oboe bombing run.
    ML-998 was the Oboe reserve and followed the formation leader in case his Oboe equipment failed. This was a disasterous op with half the formation being shot down. S/L Bob Palmer was awarded a post-humous VC for leading the formation to the target with 2 engines on fire and marking the target perfectly before going down.
    Carpenter and Lambert in ML-998 took many hits but followed Palmer into the target as they were detailed to do in case Palmer had an Oboe failure. The aircraft exploded with one engine feathered and the other on fire as they reached the target, 100 feet behind Palmer.
    Lambert was 38 years old, ancient by Bomber Command stanards.
    This is dealt with in detail in "Heroic Endeavour" by Sean Feast.
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 28th February 2008 at 17:26.

Alain Guest

Gentlemen ,

Thanks for the help.

Alain

Thanks

Hello,

Four years later I ressurect this thread because I have received a mail from a local German historian that searchs the ID of a 2-engine bomber that crashed at 1300 hrs on Jüchen, Germany, both crew being killed.
    http://www.maplandia.com/germany/nordrhein-westfalen/dusseldorf/neuss/juchen/

Heavy USAAF B-26/A-26 this day took place earlier, and this crash is IMHO coherent in time and location with the loss of Mosquito ML998 of 109 Sqn.

To confirm this I would like to have burail details for both crew, ie where they were buried before Reichswald Forest Cemetery. The data should be easier to find for the RCAF casualty (F/O Eric C Carpenter) but I don't have the books providing it.

Thanks in advance

Laurent

Thanks

You need to order the RCAF airmans service file extract, write to them and ask for it, the extract. If requested in 2008 you would have received it at least three years ago. Google rcaf service records, results should be in French if that helps.

Someone here may be able to get you a name for a researcher who could do a paid service for you.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis,

Actually I did not participate to this thread four years ago, but liked better continuing it as I am now searching the same thing: the crashplace of this Mosquito.

Can anybody ask a RCAF airman file ? I mean, without being of his family ?

Thanks

yes, this subject or RCAF records has been mentioned many many many MANY times on the forum, use google, as I suggested above, i wouldn't suggest it otherwise.
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-909.007-e.html
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

The formation was over Cologne's Gremburg rail yard at 17,000 ft. when Carpenter & Lambert in ML998 were hit at about 1pm along with the 5 Lancasters from 582 Squadron. I would think they were initally buried in Cologne, 450 of those that were later re-buried in the Rheinberg war Cemetary had been initally buried in Cologne.
    Heroic Endeavour describes how Russell Yeulett, the rear gunner and only survivor in the lead Lancaster flown by S/L Palmer of 109 Squadron was quite close to Carpenter's Mosquito in the final moments of the Oboe run and could plainly see Carpenter in ML998. ML998's job was to stick with the lead Lancaster and take over the lead of the formation if the Oboe set failed on on the lead aircraft and Carpenter & Lambert stuck with Palmer to the end. Near the end of the run when Yeulett looked over at ML998, he saw one engine of the Mosquito was out & the other engine was on fire. Carpenter looked up at Yeulett and waved as if to indicate everything was ok, Yeulett waved back and at that moment ML998 exploded. Yeulett then felt his own aircraft heading toward the ground and heard the order to abandon the aircraft. Yeulett was the only one to get out alive. The aircraft in the formation that survived released their bombs on seeing on Palmer's bombs being released at 12:58 - 12:59.
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 1st December 2012 at 16:19.

Thanks

I have a squadron group photo with Carpenter and Lambert on it if needed. Let me know if interested.

Regards

Andy