Thread: Night Fighter loss, but where did 99 Sqn Wellington Crash?

Thanks

Default Night Fighter loss, but where did 99 Sqn Wellington Crash?

Hello,

Can anyone clear up where Wellington 'N' of 99 squadron crashed 31st August 1941? It is reported to have been shot down by a Ju88 intruder. The two sources I have record a different location and time. Chorley's Bomber Command losses has the aircraft crashing (0248 hours) at Beck Row whilst diverting to Mildenhall, and Dr Boiten's Nachjagd War Diaries reports it shot down (0343 hours) at its Waterbeach Base.

Two experts, but differing information, any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Sam

Thanks

I've the Wellington on homebound flight being diverted to Mildenhall; crashed in a field near Beck Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk, about 02.48 hrs.

Henk.

Thanks

Just to confirm the facts; R1411 LN-N crashed at 0248 hours on 1 September 1941 in a field at Beck Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk. The a/c had been diverted, made a faulty approach and was going round again when it was attacked and shot down from 150 ft. The injured RG, Sgt Stevens was the only survivor.

BC

Thanks

Hi

Why not apply to the RAF Museum at Hendon for the AM1180 form? That would have been written out by RAF staff at the time. May have more interesting info. Then apply to the AHB for the 765c information. Possibly an AVIA 5 report or a Board of Inquiry form?

Then when you find out where it crashed ask the locals/newspapers?

Depends how much you want to find out I guess.

James

Thanks

Henk, BC and James,

Thank you all for the information. It confirms my supposition that Bomber Command Losses was probably correct just because of the amount of information for that entry. Just wanted to be sure, as I was in touch with a chap operating out of Mildenhall that night so the loss of N/99 is pertinent information.

Best wishes,

Sam