Thread: Action off Norway, 3 March 1943

Thanks

Default Action off Norway, 3 March 1943

Hi to all,

On 3 March 1943, ten Mosquito of 139 Sqn raided a mine in Knaben, Norway. One of the them, DZ463, was shot down with the loss of the crew by a Fw 190. This Mosquito took off at 1200 hrs (British time)

On the German side, I know only one claim: an Uffz Schmid of 7./JG 1 claimed at 1442 hrs a Blenheim (or a Mosquito depending of the source) at 50 m at place coded 6958i See.

There was also one German loss this day in the western Norway area. Fw Josef Gruber of 1./JG 5 was posted missing off Agder, Norway after his Staffel scrambled at 1832 hrs to intercept an Allied formation. Somes source said he was lost in action against the Mosquito raid, but this was hours before.

There was no other Bomber Command raid this day than the Mosquito raid. I would like to know more about the Coastal Command activity this day off Norway, and especially:

1) if a Coastal Command aircraft was shot down or even attacked off Norway this day.

2) if a Coastal Command formation was operating off Norway in the late afternoon, and may explain the scramble of 1./JG 5

3) if a Coastal Command crew claimed a German fighter this day

Thanks in advance

Laurent

Thanks

Hi Laurent,

540 Sqn flew two sorties to Norway on 03 Mar 43 though the times do not fit in with 1./JG 5 scrambling at 18:32

P/O White and Sgt Prescott (Nav) in Mosquito W4061 between 10:12-13:35 to Stavanger and Lista

F/L Lenton and Sgt Haney (Nav) in Mosquito W4054 between 12:15-17:45 to Trondheim and Bergen

No enemy interference is mentioned for either sortie.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Last edited by Andy Fletcher; 4th March 2011 at 13:03. Reason: Typo
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Thanks Andy