Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shackleton crash 18 Nov 1967

Thanks

Default Shackleton crash 18 Nov 1967

A Shackleton of 120 Squadron, RAF Kinloss, crashed into the sea 180 miles south west of Land's End while taking part in an exercise with the Royal Navy. Nine of the Eleven crew lost their lives.

I have the new item from the Times about this crash which lists the crew. Can anyone tell me any more about it?

Thanks

Hi
    Chris Ashworth's book "Shackleton" has what looks like this loss on p114. He has the a/c as belonging to the Kinloss Wing and crewed by a 201 Sqn crew. It was observed from the bridge of HMS Brighton to hit the sea in a descending turn whilst carrying out an attack. The a/c was WR976 and fuel from the tanks burst into flames.The suggestion was that it must have been flying slowly and had probably stalled on entry.This is implied from the fact that there were survivors.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

In essence, it is believed that the crew turned too tightly in their desire to get 'round the corner' more quickly.

It's basic principles of flight/vectors of velocities, the steeper the turn or the tighter the 'pull', down comes the stalling speed.

There was an RN officer on board and this might have influenced the desire to put on a 'good show' - my thoughts only and made without evidence.

This was a bad time for the Shackleton force. An aircraft lost off Gan, another climbing out of Kinloss and a third into the Mull of Kintyre, in addition to this one: all in short period and all with heavy loss of life.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Old Duffer's note about the RN passenger explains the total of 11. The normal Shackleton crew was 10, at least up until 1961 when my time on the a/c ended.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

The naval officer in question was Lt Cdr Christopher Brian SCHOFIELD 34.

There was also an RCAF navigator Flt Lt Joseph Dennis FILLION 35.

The other fatal causalties, for those interested were: Sqn Ldr Brian Campbell LETCHFORD 34, Flt Lts Frank Raymond HOLLINS 37, Edward Thomas SPICER 34, & Peter John STOWELL 23, Fg Off Keith Robert GORDON 29, Flt Sgt John Francis GENT 29 and Sgt Arthur BROWN 24. The survivors were Sgts E Bradshaw and R M Collins who were both air electronics operators and they were picked up by HMS Brighton.

At the risk of being very boring and pedantic, I've sen the aircraft as being assigned to 201 Sqn but it matters not.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. My interest is particularly in Flt Lt Peter Stowell, an AEO. We were fellow cadets in 273(Wallasey) Squadron Air Training Corps.

Thanks

You're jolly lucky to have an ATC squadron mate who served with honour - a chap on my last ATC sqn is doing 17 years in the slammer for drug smuggling!!

Thanks

Default Wr976

I have only joined this forum - very interesting.

All Shackletons and groundcrew at RAF Kinloss were removed from Squadrons and put on the strength of RAF Kinloss in Feb 1967. They were borrowed by the squadrons (120, 201 & 206) and any detachments overseas were accompanied by groundcrew from Shackleton Handling & Rectification Flight.

I was on 120 Sqn until this changeover and remained on Shacks until moving to Nimrods in 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    The naval officer in question was Lt Cdr Christopher Brian SCHOFIELD 34.

There was also an RCAF navigator Flt Lt Joseph Dennis FILLION 35.

The other fatal causalties, for those interested were: Sqn Ldr Brian Campbell LETCHFORD 34, Flt Lts Frank Raymond HOLLINS 37, Edward Thomas SPICER 34, & Peter John STOWELL 23, Fg Off Keith Robert GORDON 29, Flt Sgt John Francis GENT 29 and Sgt Arthur BROWN 24. The survivors were Sgts E Bradshaw and R M Collins who were both air electronics operators and they were picked up by HMS Brighton.

At the risk of being very boring and pedantic, I've sen the aircraft as being assigned to 201 Sqn but it matters not.

Old Duffer

Thanks

The Canadian exchange officer killed was F/L Leon Rodrigue Fillion. Canadian Virtual War Memorial-

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/Detail/80003050

Thanks

[QUOTE=Oldduffer;60815]In essence, it is believed that the crew turned too tightly in their desire to get 'round the corner' more quickly.

It's basic principles of flight/vectors of velocities, the steeper the turn or the tighter the 'pull', down comes the stalling speed.

I think what Oldduffer REALLY meant to say here was "the steeper the turn or the tighter the 'pull', UP goes the stalling speed and DOWN goes the aircraft! I am pretty certain I have this right. Comments?

David D