Thread: J D Rudling, 136 Sqn RAF

Thanks

Default J D Rudling, 136 Sqn RAF

Hello,

The above baled out of his 136 Sqn Hurricane on 22 May 43 when his aircraft was set on fire during air combat. According to the H L Thompson's Vol Three of 'New Zealanders with the Royal Air Force' Rudling baled out twice during combat. This could only have been with 136 Sqn, but if so what was the date of the second event? There was a history of the squadron published, called 'Woodpecker Story' but which I don't have access to, and I wonder if a forumite might have a copy and could check to see if it confirms a second bale out.

Rudling was later killed while flying with the squadron, on 29 April 1944.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol
    The Cenotaph of the Auckland Museum suggests only 1 bale-out, the incident that you started your post with. The single bale-out is mentioned in the Campaigns section and is slightly elaborated in the Award Circumstances with your incident which seems to have been part of, or the reason for,the award of the DFM although he is referred to as P/O Rudling.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Rudling

Hello Errol,

on the following site www.nzetc.org/tm/scholary on page 293:

F/S Rudling DFM bailed twice. it is mentioned Arakan campaing and also Cittagong airfield.

Hope it helps a very little

Best regards
    Rene

Thanks

René,

Perhaps the second "bale out" is confused with a forced landing of Rudling on Boxing Day 1943 when he had both collided with a Japanese bomber and got hits from an enemy fighter over Burma. His Spitfire ended up on its nose and Rudling escaped unhurt.
    The Japanese bomber, btw, crashed.

source: www.nzetc.org and especially Chapter 14 of New Zealanders with the Royal Air Force (Air Superiority and the Arakan Battle).

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Gents,

Thank you for your replies. However, as indicated in my message, I have already checked Thompson's volume and am really hoping someone might have access to the 'Woodpecker Story', which would obviously be a far more detailed account of 136 Sqn's activities.

Errol

Thanks

I don't know if this helps at all Errol, but this is a piece written by the current owner of Rudling's medals.

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=811&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highl ight=rudling&start=15

Ken

Thanks

Default Rudling

Hello Errol,

I notice on www.bronzetiger.co.uk/bookworm/BooklistA.html that they have the book written by SqnLdr VK Jacobs "Wodpecker" history of 136Sqn at the prize of 25 livre sterling

Best regards
    Rene