Thread: C47 Dakota Beachy Head

Thanks

Default C47 Dakota Beachy Head

Hi.
    This is in connection with the above.
    A C47 door was recovered from within a hollow behind the lavatories on Beachy Head (Sussex) maybe 2 decades ago, in some scrub.
    I can't recall where or when I read these details, but also recall it was related to a crash landing which took place in the adjoining field during WW2.

Please can anyone shed some more light upon this incident?

Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave, pretty sure the reference is in Longstaff tyrrells book "Destination Fowington " . I had a quick glance through it but couldn't find anything, but I've heard of this find and can't think of anything else I've read of late that would mention it. Pete

Thanks

Default C47 Beachy Head forced landing

In actual fact I cant say for sure this wasn't something I read in relation to its discovery during an earlier era, like the seventies (the book doesn't ring any bells, Pete, thanks I will check if poss). Was/Is After the Battle searchable?

Thanks

Hello,

Discussed here:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=12546

Col.

Thanks

Default C 47 Beachy Head

Thanks Col. Very observent.
    Qtn Andy 2008: 'At some date fairly soonish after 6 June 1944 a C-47 struck the South Downs and crashed at Beachy Head close to the Beachy Head Hotel'....'A crew entry door turned up at the site a few years ago and bore the remains of a large 6 or 8 in white.'

What I'm told it was the result of a collision with a Defiant?

In which case we have a Defiant lost thereabouts (Beachy Head) I think 9th June 1943 (ie. a full year earlier)?

I'd find it hard to believe two C47s crashed in this field by the hotel. The door was probably tossed into the quarry behind the loos as are large rocks by farmers, routinely.
    Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 16th March 2011 at 16:48.

Thanks

Defiant II AA435 of 515 Sqn flew into cliff in fog returning from ECM mission Beachy Head 8.6.43, killing F/Sgt F.J.A. STEEL - 1380940 and P/O A.E. GRAY - DFM - 145296.

Henk.

Thanks

Thanks Henk.
    I think that rules out this particular Defiant colliding with the C47.
    Makes me think the C47 may not have been involved in a collision.
    I wonder if Andy (Saunders) got any further with this same line of enquiry 3 yrs ago?
    ie. whether the C47 date and a/c were ever positively identified?

I dont have Defiant losses list but given the date was on or shortly after DDay '44 wondered if there would then be a Defiant listed in collision with a C47 here for this date?
    Henk have you made a Defiant list of losses, or is the Defiant File (Alec Brew) still the best solution for cross referencing Defiant losses?
    Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 17th March 2011 at 12:02.