Thread: Sgt Brookes, 74 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt Brookes, 74 Squadron

Hello chaps, does anyone have the ORB for 74 Squadron for the period of late 1941 by any chance? I am trying to identify a "Sgt Brookes" of 74 Squadron who was attached to No 3 Delivery Flight (at Hawarden) and baled out of Dominie X7354 on the 7th December 1941.

If anyone can help, i'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

The crash is mentioned in 57 OTU ORB but doesn't name any of the crew, below is a copy of the entry.

December 7th 1941, “Sudden deterioration in the weather caused six Spitfires of 57 OTU to
    crash, two pilots being killed. In the same storm a Dominie aircraft of No.3 Delivery Flight
    was struck by lightning causing it to crash. The pilot and one of the five passengers were
    killed.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Alan, thanks for posting that but i do already have it. The accident card also does not state the crew and it is from Errol Martyn (J E Moodie, the pilot, was a New Zealander) that i learned of "Sgt Brookes" being one of the crew.

I was hoping that the ORB for 74 Squadron might have an entry such as "Sgt......Brookes posted to 3 Delivery Flight on the ......1941" and i would be able to identify him (in an ideal scenario anyway!). If nobody has the ORB i'll just have to try and check it next time i'm in Kew.

Cheers, Tom

jerrymurland Guest

Sgt. Brookes cartwheeled his aircraft at Bellyherbert as he attempted a night landing. Brookes survived, the aircraft did not. Same Brookes?

Jerry

Thanks

Hi Jerry, could you put this in context please? When was the accident? What was the aircraft serial and unit? What is you source?

Thanks, Tom

jerrymurland Guest

74 Squadron History by Bob Cossey - 'Tigers'. P98. Not mentioned in fighter command losses for 1942.

Jerry

Thanks

Thanks Jerry, i see now. Certainly a possibility if it was in late 1941/early 1942. I think this is one i'll have to follow up in the archives!

Cheers, Tom