Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 430719 - Unaccounted airmen - 19-7-1943

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm for confirmation.

Henk.

Thanks

H A Tapper is DOAS in oct 7th magazine, Cas list 291, his name is partially cut by the scanned page edge.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Pass is listed as missing in the same list as LAC G Smith.

Then both turn up again
    PREVIOUSLY REPORTED MISSING, NOW PRESUMED KILLED IN ACTION.— in the July 13th 1944 flight magazine, Cas List 402

So, does this suggst they were passengers on an aircraft shot down? Maybe a marine vessel?

(Edit: I see Bewick was mentioned in thread above but I keep these links here!, its late!)
    There is also F/O J W Bewick of 38 Wing on the Malta Memorial for that date, are all three conected? Bewick is listed missing in November Casualty Lists, and is listed in the same list as the men above in July 1944.

Bewick was mentioned in this thread before with a DK131 possible and a connection to 295 Sqn
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9474-Info-request-RAF-casualties-details

Hugh recorded him as recomended for a gong with 295 Squadron:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?6494-Transcribed-for-the-record
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 24th March 2011 at 00:34. Reason: Added KIA info
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

LAC F Lawton is DOAS in September 23rd magazine, scanned as L.A/C. F. La-wton, a spurious dash has appeared.

The RCAF casualty list in Globe and Mail says:
    LAWTON, Frank, LAC., died from natural causes in Canada . John Lawton (father), Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 24th March 2011 at 00:55.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Unaccounted For Airmen - 19-07-1943 - F/O Hugh TAPPER

Sadly late in the day, I have made it to Kew and extracted the following from the ORB of 2768 LAA Sqdn, RAF Regiment (AIR29/90).

“19-07-43 This month has been marred by the tragic death of F/O TAPPER as the result of an operation. His loss is deeply regretted by all ranks”

"Squawk".

Thanks

Default Raymond Eales

I have just discovered that my father's cousin and childhood friend, Raymond Eales, joined the RAFVR and died on 19/07/43. My search for more info on what happened to him has brought me to this thread. Can anyone add any information? Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Helo there, welcome to the board.

In the context of this forum thread we discovered that Raymond Eales death was registered in Wycombe district, Buckinghamshire.

In official government information he is categorised as having 'Died on Active Service', thsi normally means that the airman died from natural causes, or from an accident not related to flying or enemy action.

Also, his rank at death was that of AC2, Aircraftman 2nd Class, not a rank normally associated with aircrew duties although at this time in the war I beleive it was still possible to find some. He was possibly a ground crew trademans.

At www.cwgc.org you can see he is buried in BEACONSFIELD CEMETERY, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE. His birth appears to have been registered in Amersham, Bucks in 1924 so it looks likely to be a death from natural causes in his home area.

The only real way to tell would be to obtain his death certificate from gro.gov.uk using details of death cert references on freebmd.org.uk

but then, it not unknown for the forum members to turn up something much more exciting.

Oh, please DON'T hit the 'quote' button if your replying, there is no need to repeat the text I've just typed, cheers.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Raymond Eales

Thank you Mr B. for your detailed reply, apologies for the slow response.

Raymond grew up in Beaconsfield, so you may be correct that he died in his home area. When I discovered that there were so many deaths in the RAFVR on 19/07/43, and that it coincided with the aerial bombing of Rome and other Italian cities, I surmised a rather different fate. But I bow to your greater experience in these matters. Thanks so much for replying.

Thanks

gcb50

Further to Dennis's advice, it would probably help if you obtain your relation's service record; details as to how to proceed can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/request-forms-for-service-personnel-details-royal-air-force. There's a £30 fee, and, other than an acknowledgement, don't expect the documents for 20 weeks - at least that's what I've just been advised.

The service record will list the stations/units at which he served up to the time of his death. If his death was registered in the Wycombe District, there are two stations that immediately come to mind - HQ Bomber Command (Naphill) and RAF Booker.

Brian