Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flt Lt Alan James Baker (120075) - info sought

Thanks

Default Flt Lt Alan James Baker (120075) - info sought

Dear members - I am researching the above officer who is shown as died on 28.7.44 whilst an Observer with 613 Sqn. I would be interested in the circumstances. I have been informed that a pilot from 613 Sqn also died on this day, Flt Lt Joseph George Oliver. Both deaths recorded at North Walsham in Norfolk. I hope to order his death certificate today.
    thank you for looking

ATB

Bob

Thanks

Default Mosquito NS987

Welcome to the board, some one may be able to confirm this for you but the following website:

http://www.dehavilland.ukf.net/_DH98%20prodn%20list.txt

giving individual histories of Mosquitos lists this aircraft:
    NS987 FBVI 613 Stalled and bit ground on range nr Mundesley Norfolk 28.7.44

So that would be Mosquito with Serial number NS987. You can request a brief crash record card Form 1180, from the RAF Museum in Hendon.

Mundesley is within the North Walsham registration district:
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/north%20walsham.html
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis - many thanks indeed - that crash fits and points me in the right direction for further research.

I am most gratefull

kind regards Bob

Thanks

Thanks to a prompt from another member I contacted the Air Historical Branch who replied within a few days

"Thank you for your e-mail dated 14 March 2011 seeking the circumstances of how Flight Lieutenant Alan James Baker died.

Our records show that Flt Lt Baker was flying in Mosquito No NS987 when during an air to ground firing exercise the aircraft was seen to dive and pass over the target at 50 feet. The aircraft went into a steep left hand turn, stalled and crashed on Paston Gunnery Range, Norfolk. There is a possibility that the aircraft was hit by a ricochet."

many thanks for the advice given - the knowledge on this Forum is outstanding

regards Bob

Thanks

Default F/Lt Alan James Baker & F/Lt Joseph George Oliver

JGOLR290
    I have been researching F/Lt Joe Oliver's time in the RAF for many years on behalf of his daughter & have access to his log book & letters, photos, documents etc. I also have a copy of 613 Sqn. ORB for 1943 & 1944.

Joe Oliver & his previous navigator, Sgt. Harry Williams, crashlanded in N. France on 14 January 1944 after attacking a V1 launch site at Longuemort. With the help of local resistance members & the legendary Joe Balfe & family of Hornoy near Amiens, Joe & Harry evaded & reached Pau in S. France 16 April. Harry was captured by the French police & ended up in Stalag Luft 7 Bankau. He survived the War & I have his account of their time in France, but Joe made it to Spain, Gibraltar & Whitchurch Airfield near Bristol.

According to an eyewitness of the crash at Paston/Bacton, the Mosquito appeared to be flying lower than most planes at this range perhaps increasing the risk of a strike by a ricochet.

I have visited Alan Baker's 1944 home address in Kew near the National Archive & his grave in a cemetery near Richmond. I also have information relating to his service in the RAF.

David

Thanks

Hi David - I have sent you a PM - fascinating information. I found a photo online of Oliver's headstone and managed to get a copy of the crash report plus the ORB showing their last mission before this dreadful accident.

regards Bob

Thanks

Gents,
    I've OLIVER 14-1-1944 on Mosquito LR290, crashed around noon. Written about him in FlyPast November 2006 page 22. Looking for Harry WILLIAMS servicenumber.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thanks Henk - as I am new to this, how does one access Flypast articles ?

I note there were at least 4 Sgt H. Williams that were POW

regards Bob

Thanks

Hello Bob,
    I've the FlyPast and could scann the pages. Mail me at hDOTweltingATupcmailDOTnl (replace DOTS and AT by obvious).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thanks Henk