Thread: 202 Squadron - help please

Thanks

Default 202 Squadron - help please

Back in 2007 I started a thread about the losses of two 202 Squadron aircraft during 1950 (http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=11435&forum=DCForumI D6). In both instances the aircraft, RG843 and ST798, were returning from routine meteorological reconnaissance sorties when they crashed.

The Air Met Observer (AMO) on RG843, which crashed on Achill Island on 16 June 1950, was listed as LAC James Lister. At the time I thought this strange as a qualified AMO was normally awarded his Sgts stripes. In the event I took it no further at the time, but my interest has been awakened because of his obituary which has just come to hand.

This records he was an AC2 and was in the last week of his training when the accident happened - which leaves me wondering why an unqualified AMO was flying without supervision.

I was wondering if some kind person who might be visiting Kew could spare a couple of minutes look in the 202 Squadron ORB (AIR27/2457) and copy the entry for 16 June 1950 and also the previous entry for which Lister is listed as part of the crew.

Brian

Thanks

Evening Brian,
    Air 27 2457
    It lists him as MAO IV Lister, I did not know what that meant at the time, but then I don't know a lot! Regards
    Tony K

Thanks

Thanks Tony - this was during the strange period when the powers that be decided to regrade/name all aircrew although I believe they reverted to the old system not long after.

As a matter of interest do you have a copy of the ORB?

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,
    I made a few notes on the last day of one of my visits to the N/A a bit rushed as it was closing time.
    Air 27 2457
    Aircraft Halifax C/202 ( also listed as aircraft O in other sources)
    16-6-50 F/O Hopgood, F/O Hersley, Eng1 Shaw, Sig 1 McKenna, Sig 1 Regan, Gnr 1 Gilmartin
    F/O Browne, MAO IV Lister

Long Ranger MET 0900- 1600 7.30 Bismuth
    That's all I have and hope itis useful to you
    Regards
    Tony K

Thanks

Much obliged Tony - thank you for your help.

Brian