Thread: Rcaf service documents

Thanks

Default Rcaf service documents

Over thr last 12 months i have been involved with researching the losses from the numerous single seat fighter OTU'S
    i am currently working on NO 53 OTU , As is the case many men from the commonwealth lost thier lives during this Training . i recently ordered a service document FROM THE CANADIANS , i ordered the complete file , thinking i did not want to miss anything important THE file arrived today on a disc , WITH some 134 pages of information , which cost me 58 canadian dollars , They also offer a GENEALOGY package , which i assume is a summary of what is inc in the persons file , Please can anyone tell me if a non family member doing research can obtain the GENEALOGY PACKAGE if so what is the price difference roughly, I know it would depend on the no of pages copied ? but a rough estimate would be useful to know any advice would be most welcome , i have many RCAF MEN which i need to research but at $58 dollars i might have to wait for a lottery win
    many thanks
    phill jones

Thanks

Hi Phil,

Last time I checked, the "genie package" as they call it was free. It typically includes about a dozen or more pages of most interest to genealogists. If you want more detail, you need to pay for photocopying at a price per sheet or image. You can also hire a local researcher to take digital images for you.

The records are open if the person has been dead for more than 20 years.

They have a large backlog of requests, so it takes about 6 months.
    David

Thanks

Hi Phill,

it really depends on what you want - how much information you need and what kind.
    From my experience I can say that "genie package" is enough for the general research - there is the basic service record covering all postings, promotions etc.
    The complete file is worth when you are researching few airmen in detail and you want really everything available.
    For the complete file I have one warning - the number of pages can vary - some of them may have 100 pages, some of them 200, some of them 500...

Hope this helps a little

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Phil,

I can use a researcher for this kind of work and it costs a lot less than the price you have quoted. I can put you in contact with him if you send me a PM.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.