Thread: Sgt. J(?) Meredith 263 Sqdn 1942 info please

Thanks

Default Sgt. J(?) Meredith 263 Sqdn 1942 info please

Evening all.

Does anyone have any information on the above pilot please?

I know that he was posted out of 263 Squadron and into 175 Squadron RAF in June of 1942.

Apart from this I have no information about him. Not even his name.

Thank you all in advance.

Paul

Thanks

I believe you are looking for J E Meredith. The LG has a John Eutychus MEREDITH (137448).

K
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    19 Aug 1942 (Jubilee) he shot down one He 111 - Hurricane BE394

Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Sgt Meredith - posted in from 56 OTU on 01 Jul 41.

07 Jan 42 - Sgt. Pilot J. Meredith to Crenage on Navigation Course.

07 Jun 42 - Sergeant Pilot Meredith posted to 175 Squadron.

It was during the latter part of this period that the Squadron described themselves as "The world's No.1 convoy jobs" - no doubt an unpopular task which may have led to keen types agitating for a more glamourous move.

Hope this helps a little!

Jeff
    Last edited by RecklessRat; 31st March 2011 at 19:55.

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. The info. you have provided gives me a place to start.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know, or can confirm, that his nickname was 'Paddy'?

Paul

Thanks

Default Sgt J. E. Meredith

Dear Paul

I stumbled across your thread and I am sure I can supply you with information about my father in that I have his log books. Sadly he is no longer with us. I am, obviously, most interested in your investigation of my dad.

To my knowledge dad was not known as Paddy.........dad was born in mid Wales and raised in North Wales before joining the RAF in 1940. Later he was known as "Merrie"

Looking forward to your reply....................Trylon

Thanks

Trylon
    Welcome..
    Can you please tell us what your dads log book says for 15th Sept 1941 at Charmy Down when he was flying P6996 and had an incident on landing in which P7039 was also damaged.

P6996 was written off P7039 required a new rudder and starboard outer wing ?

Also are there any serial and code letter ties ups for the Whirlwinds in his log book Some are still unknown (including P6996)

Many Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum Trylon.

Like a few of this forums other members, (Paul above included!) I have a keen interest in all things realted to the Westland Whirlwind. I believe that your father was with 263 Squadron in early 1942 as a member of 'A' Flight.

However, the Squadron's ORB is quite vague when it comes to mentioning his name or initials. This is one small thing that I'd like to rectify as I've slowly been putting together short biographies of all the pilots who flew the Whirlwind. Operationally or otherwise. My particular interest lies with those pilots of the RAAF and RNZAF who flew Whirlwinds.

Any additional information that you are willing to share would be much appreciated. I have a few other questions I'd like to ask you but rather than clog up space on the forum please send me a PM (personal message) and I'll reply with an email.

Kind regards.

Paul

PS If your run a forum search using the key word 'Whirlwind' you'll find quite a lot of discussion re the men your father flew with and the aircraft they flew.