Thread: Halifax JD270 lost over Berlin after colliding with a nightfighter - 1 Sep 1943

Thanks

Default Halifax JD270 lost over Berlin after colliding with a nightfighter - 1 Sep 1943

I am looking for details on this crash, which, unbelievably, I seem not to have mentioned on the board yet - least-ways not that I can find.

My subject on this crew was RCAF F/Sgt. Victor Wintzer, the navigator [CWGC says bomb aimer], of Toronto. The a/c was from 419 Sqn.

Can anyone help me with a crash location or a possible German loss that might match?

I have the crew details and his service record.

Thanks. (And sorry to have been away for a while, been busy studying that other earlier war).
    Last edited by dfuller52; 1st April 2011 at 17:32. Reason: changed bomb aimer to navigator
    David

Thanks

Hello,

You do seem to have mentioned this aircraft on the forum before, see link (Jan 2009)

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?3883-Clipped-by-a-night-fighter-and-crashed-1-Sep-43

You also posted it elsewhere and the location you showed was 'The Halifax crashed in the Wernigerode Forest, 3 kms south west of Wernigerode near the town of Hasserode'.

I found this with a google search on Halifax JD270, but didn't really look any further into it.

Good hunting for the rest of the info.

Martyn

Thanks

Thanks Martyn, how odd that it didn't come up when I searched.
    David