Thread: DFC query, 1943.

Thanks

Default DFC query, 1943.

Hallo all,

Hoping you can help again. I need someone please to look up the DFC citation in Ian Tavender's work for a F/O Thomas Herbert Bowen 50439. It was gazetted c.May 1943. I need to know did he receive it for operational flying or for services as a POW.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Hello,

From my own experience, it's unlikely a DFC would have been awarded as a reward for actions as a prisoner of war.

A few Evaders/escapers were awarded a Military Cross / Medal, and I've seen recommendations for awards for prisoners.

Can you tell us when he was shot down and captured ?

Ian Tavender's book is about the DFM, the DFC book was written by the Carters.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36015/supplements/2155, which is the same information as stated in Michael Maton's "Honour the Air Forces".

Joss

Thanks

Hi Martin

He ceratinly didn't receive the DFC for services as a POW as this award can only be made for actions in the air in the face of the enemy. Had hew been awarded an honour for services as a POW it would seems more likely that it would have been an MBE or similar.

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 3rd April 2011 at 08:23. Reason: typo

Thanks

Thomas Herbert Bowen wasn't ever taken PoW. There is a LAC T.H. Bowen captured 10/5/1940 with 103 Sq. (Clutton-Brook - Footprints) who was a W/O in captivity in May 1945 (HMSO PoW List)
    Thomas Herbert Bowen DFC 12 Sq. (No Citation in Carter) LG14/5/1943

Thanks

Hello,

Bowen's DFC Citation:

P/O. T. H. Bowen, 12 Sqn. - P/O Bowen has an excellent record of operational flying. He has participated in many and varied operations, both by day and by night, including attacks against heavily defended targets in the Ruhr and at Milan. On one occasion during an attack against Berlin, he encountered particularly heavy anti-aircraft fire and fighter opposition.

Flight. June 10, 1943. p.620

Col.

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Thank you all. Indeed John I was trying to establish if there was a link between the two, as Thomas Herbert B. of 12 Sqn. was commissioned during late 1942 from an NCO rank. Their NCO service numbers do not match, but on the slim chance one of the numbers was incorrect I needed to establish what the DFC was for. Back to the drawing board, but all your assistance has been very useful and is much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Just a bit more:

BOWEN, Thomas Herbert, P/O (50439, Royal Air Force) - No.12 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 14 May 1943. Air Gunner. Public Record Office Air 2/8949 has citation drafted when he had flown 58 sorties (304 operational hours).

"Pilot Officer Bowen has an excellent record of operational flying. He has participated in many and varied operations, both by day and by night, including attacks against heavily defended targets in the Ruhr and at Milan. On one occasion, during an attack against Berlin, he encountered particularly heavy anti-aircraft fire and fighter opposition. This oficer has always displayed great gallantry and devotion to duty."

Thanks

Hallo Hugh,

Thanks for that. P/O Bowen is clearly not the man I am looking for, but tantalizingly close ! Two T. F. Bowens and both Air Gunners (as I note from your post). Perhaps The National Archives in Kew have a POW questionaire of some kind, though I see he is not listed in the 'K' Files on this website.

Regards, and thanks again,

Martin.